Starting to feel at home

Default Catherine Sarah Bunch,nee Masters

Catherine was my great gran,she died in 1947 in Kennington Ashford.She was 91 and she was living with her eldest son,Harold Bunch,who had a drapers shop.I am trying to find where she was buried or cremated but so far I've had no luck at all.
    Is there a newspaper that could have had a funeral notice in it? A death notice doesn't always give funeral details.Any help is very welcome.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This site will probably be of help to you Sandyjose. It gives an email addy so you can contact for assistance. Perhaps they'll suggest the most likely or you can email all & ask about your Gt Grans interrment or cremation.

https://www.ashford.gov.uk/cemeteries-and-crematoria.

or google 'cemeteries in Kennington, Ashford UK'
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Starting to feel at home

I have tried everything I can think of to find my great gran's resting place without success.Ashford council don't answer I've tried several times.Kent History Society aren't any better.I've even tried looking for undertakers that were in business in 1947,maybe they don't answer those kind of enquires.Catherine had a brother who died in his first year when her parents were living in Maidstone,that brought nothing,she also had a granson,Bernard,who died in 1928 age 10 in Ashford.I thought she might have been buried or had her ashes scattered on his grave but that's been a dead end too.I must admit that I've found some parts of Uk easier than others to find graves,Kent being about the most difficult.Where do I go now?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Sandy, if you've looked online at cemeteries, don't be discouraged- the names may be only what people have contributed. some further ideas : Ashford Library may well give ideas of Which Funeral directors were available in 1947. They are usually most helpful.
    E-mail:
    [email protected]
    Newspapers they have, include the Kent & Sussex Courier but you'll have to scroll them as I don't know when in Dec. she died or if that was just the Reg'n month.
    https://www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?newspaperTitle=Kent%20%26%20Sussex%20Couri er&page=298. There are others.

Have you contacted any Ancestry tree members who have these people listed?

As a prior music teacher & then a boarding house keeper, she may have earned mention in one of the papers, again at the Library.
    Was she buried with her Mother or did one of her sons arrange the place. If she was cremated perhaps they took her ashes for some pre-arranged dispersal.

Charing is 6.2 miles & 12 mins from Ashford.
    https://www.charing-crematorium.co.uk/contact.php

Bybrook Cemetery 1.1 miles from Ashford.(this cemetery opened in 1928)

If all else fails try this:
    https://www.kentbereavement.org.uk/th...l-director.php
    Perhaps they can suggest someone who was current in 1947 maybe still is a family run business.

Have you contacted any children of Harold or Herbert to see if they know anything? (FreeBMD will help here) I guess her Husbands grave is a non event?

Have you contacted any Ancestry tree members who have these people listed?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for all your suggestions,I will work through them and see if I find anything.Her husband Benjamin,died in 1887 and he is buried in The Old Cemetery in Southampton with Catherin's sister,Eleanor,and her mother Louisa Kennett.Catherine lived in Southampton until she went to live with her eldest son,Harold,who had a drapers shop in Kennington near Ashford.
    Herbert was my grandad,he died in 1956,his brother Harold in 1959,Herbert's only daughter,Margaret,was my mum,she died in 1994
    Harold had 2 sons,Roy and Bernard,Bernard died in 1928,aged 10,Roy,I think died in 1984.He had a son and a daughter who I have recently made contact with but they don't know any more than me. The only trees on Ancestry are mine and another from a couple who are related to my gran who married Herbert Bunch.
    I'll get back after I've tried the sites that have been suggested

Starting to feel at home

Default Masters/Bunch

I have found where my great gran, Catherine Bunch nee Masters, is buried.She is at Ball Lane cemetery Kennington,she was buried on the 6th December 1947.I have been told there is no headstone which I find strange as her family weren't poor.
    The mystery of where her father,Henry Joseph Masters,is buried continues.I know that baby Henry Joseph Masters was buried in a church graveyard in Maidstone in Kent in 1851,that makes me think that Henry Sr could also be buried there.He died in 1886.I have contacted the church several times but have received no answer to my query.I can't remember the name of the church,it's a large church that's been there for centuries. I have tried Kent Geneology,no answer,the same with any groups to do with family history in that area. Help please .