Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    icrookham

Default Passenger Disappears En Route

Hello All

I have a possible match for my maternal great grandmother leaving Liverpool on the 2nd September 1910 on board the SS Victorian leaving Liverpool bound for Quebec and Montreal. The name is Anne E Griffiths. However when I come to find her on the arrival records for the two Canadian ports on the 9/10th September I can find no trace of her arriving. As a check I have followed another couple of families and can see their immigration records as expected. I have even gone through the immigration records page by page but without success. Has anyone come across this sort of thing before or has any idea what might be the reason?
    Thanks
    Ian

Indigo_Child

Question: was the number of passengers who boarded the ship the same as the number who disembarked in Montreal? What I'm wondering is if the ship went straight from Liverpool to Montreal or did it stop for instance in Halifax? Also, is it true or a myth that a captain can perform marriage ceremonies at sea i.e. could she have gotten married on the trip over? I hope someone online has run across this and can give you a better answer.

Wilkes_ml

I was also thinking the ship may have made a stop enroute. Have you gone through the whole original arrival doccuments line by line? If you are looking at transcripts, then there is the possibility of a transcription error. Thirdly there is the possibility that she was accidentally ommitted...which doesn't help!

Reputation beyond repute

The Allan Line advertised this as an express service: Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal

Indigo_Child

O.K. - so it was an express point A to point B with (supposedly) no stops in-between. Again, is the number of passengers going onto the ship the same number that got off? What is the last date you have her "for sure" being alive and well?

2) Since YOU are alive and well and descended from this woman, at some point she had children. One of her sons or daughters is therefore your direct ancestor. Were they born before or after September 2, 1910? One of MY ancestors had children every 18 months from 1885 to 1905 and from where they were born, I can trace his career as a schoolmaster i.e. first 3 in Plymouth, Devon, then Launceston Cornwall, then North Petherwin then Ladycross and so on. Perhaps you can trace Annie E if you know the children. That's how I sometimes trace my family tree because if the parents are always (and inevitably) named John, George and Joseph through the generations, when one of them gets creative and names their kid "Percival" you can find out which is "your" family through the kids listed.

3) Check the Canadian 1911 census. If she shows up there then obviously she disembarked and "something" has been omitted from the transcript. Always remember though that Montreal / Quebec City were frequently just jumping off points to go father West. Here in Manitoba there are still little towns that are enclaves of a particular ethnic group; Clanwilliam and Strathclair are Scots, Gimli is Icelandic, Dauphin is Ukrainian, St. Lazare is French etc.

4) Have you checked the E & W 1911 census just in case?

Indigo_Child

I just checked the Canadian 1911 census ad there are a number of "Anne" and "Annie" Griffiths. You didn't mention how old "your" Anne E. was though so that's as far as I could go. Here's the link:

https://automatedgenealogy.com/census...arch+in+Quebec

Notice that from this link you can also search for Anne E. Griffiths in all Canadian provinces.

icrookham

First of all thanks to everyone for replying.As Peter said above my understanding was that this was a direct voyage with the only stops being Quebec and Montreal but just as a check I did do a general search of all Canadian ports in Sept 1910 again with no result.I cannot be certain that this person is my great grandmother as my grandmother was born illegitimately and was given up to a family just after birth.My most likely lead,as I have my grandmother's birth cert with her mother's name on it,disappears between 1907,my grandmother's birth year,and the 1911 census hence leading to the possibility that she emigrated as no death record exists in that time frame.The one thing I haven't done yet is to check the manifest totals for leaving and arrival.
    Ian

Indigo_Child

Could she have been what we call in Canada "The British Home Children"?? These were frequently orphans sent to Canada to work. If they were LUCKY, they stayed with decent people who treated them well. More-often-than-not though MANY of them landed up with really crappy families and were overworked, abused etc. When I checked about the Barnardo Home boys it DID mention that these children would appear on the OUTGOING manifests from Liverpool but NOT appear on the lists of people arriving in Canada. Since you say Anne E. was illegitimate (did I understand that correctly?) she MAY have been one of the British Home Children who were sent to Canada.

icrookham

Hi Indigo
    It was my grandmother that was born illegitimate,it was her mother who was Annie E.If it is the right person she would have been 19 in 1910 so unlikely to be a Barnardo child but thanks for the idea.
    Ian

Indigo_Child

I just checked the Canadian 1911 census for GriffithS and Griffith (no "s") and in Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon Territory, Newfoundland and Saskatchewan no Annie E Griffiths.

In Ontario however, there is an Annie E Griffiths but she is 24 and married. This Annie E. was living in Toronto South, Ward 6, Enumeration District 71, page 5, line 40 and born November 1887. Probably not here but basically there is no sign of her in the Canadian 1911 census. Could have slipped between the enumeration cracks though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast