Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    icrookham

Hi Indigo
    Thanks for taking the trouble to look at the census data.I had found a couple of Annie E's via the link provided earlier but unfortunately they too we're married.The Annie shown on the outbound manifest was shown as a spinster.
    Ian

Indigo_Child

I checked the following: Canadian Naturalization records 1915-39 no Annie E. Griffiths. She's not in the records of the Grosse-Ile Quarantine Station 1832-1937. She doesn't appear in the Citizenship Registration for the Montreal Circuit Court 1851-1945. Only "hit" was an Annie E. Griffiths born in Wales who emigrated on the SS Empress of Ireland August 1910 (Film T-4770, digital folder 004542873 of the Canadian library archives)

icrookham

Hi Indigo
    Curiouser and curiouser!Thanks again for all your efforts.
    Ian

Indigo_Child

Yes, it is curious that she's not showing up ANYWHERE. I have an ancestor who is fairly elusive after 1841 but I'm confident that he WILL appear in at least one other official place if I spend some time digging. But to have someone get on a ship and then POOF! is weird. Did you check that if a family came on with husband, wife and 3 kids that they disembarked with H, W + 3? Just wondering if for some reason she might have "borrowed" someone's surname for whatever reason. Could have been a safety issue if she was a single woman on her own on a ship. Or it could just be the fact that she related well to other passengers and they to her and sort of "adopted" her for the interim. Or she might have hooked up with someone who spoke French and got mixed in with them. Montreal back then would have been even more French-speaking than it is now. It would not be beyond belief that a French-speaking family would have taken her under their respective wings and helped her out.

If I have time, I'll try and check the border crossing records between Quebec and the US. Maybe she got off the ship and headed south.

icrookham

Hi Indigo
    Thanks again for your input.
    Ian

icrookham

Hi Indigo
    Been trying to locate the Annie E Griffiths you mention arriving on the Empress of Ireland in August 1910 but without success.Could you let me know her age and any other details from your research?
    Ian

Indigo_Child

O.K. - I'll try to get the actual link for you.

Indigo_Child

First I have to apologize profusely! It wasn't on the Library & Archives Canada website but at: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2HLM-JQB. I then found it elsewhere but I'll have to dig a bit.

Again, my apologies for most likely leading you astray and wasting time!

icrookham

Hi Indigo
    No problem,just grateful for the help.
    Ian

icrookham

Hi Indigo
    Followed that thread from above.Unfortunately the name shown is GRIFFIN and Annie E is only 8 yrs old,so definitely not my Annie.Best bet still seems the disappearing one from September.
    Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast