Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Geography

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Irish Geography

Stuck, again, with Ireland and so looking for help please.

I've got the Hume family. Eugenie born in Lurgan. Alice says variously Lurgan, Co. Kildare and Curragh. All other, younger, children born in Armagh. Father was a serving soldier in Armagh. Mother died in Mandeville Street, Portadown and Father gave Portadown as 'home' when he re-married - in England.

I've got Lurgan and Portadown and Armagh on maps - no problem. They aren't too far from each other.

But, is Co. Kildare the same as a town named Kildare and what/where is Curragh?? And, where are these in relation to Armagh? (All these place names in the 1880's if that makes a difference!)

Audrey

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyF View Post
    I've got Lurgan and Portadown and Armagh on maps - no problem. They aren't too far from each other.

But, is Co. Kildare the same as a town named Kildare and what/where is Curragh?? And, where are these in relation to Armagh? (All these place names in the 1880's if that makes a difference!)

Audrey
    Kildare is about 50km (30 miles) west of Dublin, so not near Armagh at all. However, it is home to the Curragh military camp, so a military man might easily have passed through there and had children while there.

Irish research for the 1880s isn't too bad - BMD indexes for the whole of Ireland can be found at FamilySearch, and you can then either order a certificate online from the Irish GRO (€20) or download a form to send off for a non-certified photocopy at only €4.

For counties that are now in Northern Ireland, there's a brand new online BMD search facility at https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ Use the links there to find out more, but basically you need to buy credits at 40p each, then do a search and you can obtain basic information free, more for one credit, and a view of the original entry for 5 credits. This would, of course, cover Armagh.

Using a combination of these sites, you should be able to find the children born in Armagh and work out if Alice was one of them.

Arthur

Well, thank you. It seems logical that father may have been in Curragh doing something military when Alice was born. I've used IFHF and got birth/baptism for all the children - except Alice. I sent to Roscommon for the 4 Euro certificate and they say it couldn't be found. I telephoned them and a very nice lady did several searches using a mix of mis-spellings for the surname and various first names but no luck with any of them. Alice seems to be the only one not born in Lurgan or Armagh and I can't pin her down and although IFHF has a baptism (1890) it doesn't give a birth date. I only know she was born in Curragh in 1881 because she is in a list of Army Births and Baptisms. A mystery!

Thanks for your help with the geography.

Audrey

Reputation beyond repute

I only know she was born in Curragh in 1881 because she is in a list of Army Births and Baptisms
    I'm puzzled. If you've found her in the GRO military birth indexes, why did you apply to Roscommon?

You order the birth certificate from GRO (overseas section). It may not be the same as an England & Wales birth certificate.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,,what is the fathers name..and when and where was he born? do you know what regiment he was in?

Well, I didn't know NOT to order from Roscommon - so I did! The lady on the 'phone at Roscommon found all the other births and didn't suggest I was talking to the wrong place when I said it might be Curragh. I didn't find the births in the GRO indexes - they were on an Army Births and Baptisms list someone sent me and I assumed it was a different list to GRO indexes. I'll have to go off an have a look on GRO now!!

And, I should have said the birth was 1882. The father was Edward Hume and he was born in Allahabad in India in 1852 and joined the Connaught Rangers there and was also 94th Foot. His Regiment in the Army Births and Baptisms list is given as the 87th. His occupation on a later birth than Alice was "W.O.R.I.F" which I think is "Warrant Officer. Royal Irish Fusiliers". I've got all the father's military records so I know, more or less, where he was at various times, when he was promoted etc. etc.

Audrey

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyF View Post
    Well, I didn't know NOT to order from Roscommon - so I did!
    In my experience, many/most births to British army personnel serving in Ireland after 1.1.1864 were registered in the local civil records. It certainly sounds as though this one was. Whether such births are duplicated in the GB GRO overseas indexes I don’t know. (Ireland was part of the UK at the time so arguably wouldn’t have been seen as overseas).

What I would say is that it’s cheaper to get them from Roscommon. A photocopy from Roscommon is €4, as opposed to over double that from GRO Southport.
    ELWYN

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

GRO army birth index

Name:HUME, Alice

Regiment:87th Foot

Place :Curragh

Year:1882

Volume :1343

Page:28

Reputation beyond repute

Some links that might be useful -

The National Archives Research Guide

The Registration of Births, Deaths, and Marriages (Army) Act, 1879

I'll try and dig out a link about the way the GRO miltary registers were cobbled together

Apologies if we're going around in circles with this.

The Irish Family History Foundation has a baptism record but it does not give a birth date for Alice. The Irish Civil Registration Births Index does not have Alice but it has her siblings listed. The FreeBMD Index does not have Alice.

I applied to Roscommon for the 4 Euro birth certificate for Alice because I wanted a day and month, parents' names and father's occupation. They say they searched 1880 to 1884 and there is no record of Alice. They found all her siblings born from 1879 to 1890.

I have 'phoned again this morning and given them the reference 1343 28. They say the volumes only go up to 20 and there is no 1343. The lady thinks there may be a 'special Army list' and is going to look into it and let me know. The Army Birth and Baptisms list I have shows Eugenie Hume born 1879 with the 1343 28 reference but two younger brothers (Edward 1883 and Claude 1888) have 1343 29. Curragh also seems to be a bit of a mystery to them!

I'll let you know what happens next .....

Audrey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast