Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irish Geography

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

◦The births of army children born abroad during the twentieth and twenty-first centuries should have been registered with the British authorities through the British Army, and their birth certificates should therefore be applied for through the General Record Office (GRO).

So you don't order the birth certificate from Roscommon,,,it is a GRO Army birth ,, so you order from the GRO,,as you would a normal UK birth certificate.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by gortonboy View Post

So you don't order the birth certificate from Roscommon,,,it is a GRO Army birth ,, so you order from the GRO,,as you would a normal UK birth certificate.
    Given that Roscommon have said that they have some of the births, it would appear that Audrey therefore has a choice as to where she gets them from. She doesn’t have to get them from GRO Southport. Unless she specially wants to spend more than double the cost, I’d be inclined to get them from the cheapest source. (Irish birth certificates are modelled on English ones and so contain the same information).
    ELWYN

pippycat

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    Given that Roscommon have said that they have some of the births, it would appear that Audrey therefore has a choice as to where she gets them from.
    But not a choice in this particular instance if Roscommon state they have no record of a birth for Alice...as per thread #3.

Rebecca

Yes, but they have all the others which she might want.
    ELWYN

So, it would seem I have to stump up the £9.25 to GRO to get Alice's birth certificate. All the others should be available from Roscommon, if I want them. I've been using the IFHF site for baptism records which have, for the most, part confirmed birth date, address, parents and father's occupation which is all I want from the Alice birth certificate.

The only reason I can think why Alice is 'different' to her siblings is that she was the only one not born in Lurgan or Armagh. The Armagh births give an address of 'Barrack Hill, Armagh' which may have been Army housing, the barracks or an actual street address. The 1879 Lurgan birth gives home address as 'Zululand' which is where her father was when she was born!

Alice was the only one born in Curragh and I think that may have been a military base where her father was briefly posted (training or some such) and perhaps it was a military hospital and the birth registration procedure was slightly different. Who knows.

I'll dig through Alice's father's military records and see if Curragh appears.

Otherwise, thank you all for your help and advice which has taught me a lot - mainly that I know little about Ireland!

I thought you might be interested in an update and that it might be helpful to others struggling as I have done!

I spoke to GRO and they confirmed I should order a birth certificate for an Overseas Birth. I used the references quoted on the index (and given above here). The certificate has arrived and is like no other I have seen.

The top heading 'Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Special Provision) Act 1957) - quite some years after the 1882 birth it deals with and the main 'body' is very odd. The heading (across the columns) is 3 Bn Irish Regiment of Fusiliers an then the columns read:

Date of Child's Birth
    Place and Date of the Child's Baptism
    Christian Name of the Child
    Parents' Christian and Surname
    Rank of the Father
    Name of the Chaplain or other Clergyman by whom the ceremony was performed.

There is then mention of the signature of the Acting Adjutant who was a Qr Master.

Quite unusual - and I'm glad I ordered it as it confirmed the day and month of birth which I didn't have and the place of birth is confirmed as Curragh Camp which tells me she (Alice) was born on the military base.

Thank you, one and all! Happy Easter.

Audrey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12