Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: charles Paulin

kevynne

Default charles Paulin

could somebody possibly help me with a marriage and a birth look up please.
    Charles Paulin born about 1735 -38 ,father thought to be Charles and possible baptism at St.George in the East. or St Dunstan, London.
    Charles Paulin married Sarah? at St George in the East c1750-53 . F irst one of their children found on familysearch was Sarah baptised 1754 at st. Dunstan.
    Thank you for your help.

Kevynne

I have taken a look at the baptisms with father Charles Paulin. In all of the records Charles is a bricklayer. So are there two Charles Paulins, bricklayer or one Charles Paulin with a wife who alternates between using the names Sarah and Margaret

1748, John St Dunstan son of Charles and Margaret.
    1751 John St Dunstan son of Charles and Margaret
    1753 James St Dunstan son of Charles and Margaret
    1754 Sarah St Dunstan dau of Charles and Sarah
    1755 Ann St George in the East, dau of Charles and Margaret
    9 Jan 1757 St George in the East John, son of Charles and Sarah
    17 Nov 1757 St Dunstan, Charles son of Charles and Margaret

So Charles and Sarah had two baptisms, one at St George, the other at St Dunstan.
    Charles and Margaret had 5 baptisms 4 at St Dunstan and 1 at St George.

familysearch has another one at St Dunstans for
    Charles Paulin 24 Nov 1759

I can't see a marriage or baptism for Charles yet.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You reqally need to look at the original entry as there may be further information / comments. On line iformation is the basic requirement....

Look at the resource section at familysearch.org to see how you order the films to a centre near to your home.

kevynne

Thanks Christina,
    I hadn't thought of the possibly Charles wife used both names. I had thought it more likely that there were two Charles Paulins, possibly cousins having children about the same time. my Charles and Sarah also had a son George baptised 3.5.1769 at .st.Dunstans.
    thnks also genius, unfortunately here in NZ there is no family history centre near where we live.

regards,
    Kevynne

Hi Kevynne
    you can still follow up on genius' suggestion as familysearch.org have a service where you can order by email.
    See Here for an explanation of their photo duplication service.
    Scroll down then in the box under Search Research Articles, type in photo duplication service.

THIS thread, may also help explain some things about it.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

hello Kevynne

you still about here? this post was ten years ago.
    i'm musing the same problem in 2024

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Charles 1# was married to Catherine and after her death to Margaret Elliot.
    Charles 2# appears to have been married to only one woman a Sarah.
    based on the dates of the childrens births it either has to be two men with same name/profession or a case of bigamy. one man has 12 kids across two wives and the other with one wife only 5 kids.
    only Sarah has a child called George (assuming you are of the same line as me).

Welcome to the Bir-Gen forums aidenshillito, :smile5
    kevvnne is no longer a member of Brit-Gen as indicated by the word 'Guest" under his user name. This means they will not receive notification of your post as we do not keep any information on them.
    Just maybe one of our other members will read your post and be able to help.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Christina.
    I had thought 'Guest' might just indicate a lower status for posting but figured that after ten years the member might not be on the forum anymore. The puzzle is clearly an enduring one for which a solution is yet to be found.
    Thanks

Charles' marriage to Margaret Elliot, 27 Nov 1749, describes him as "widower" but struggling to find a burial for Catherine Paulin (Erwin). The pair had son Charles, bap 23 Apr 1746 @ 29 days old, abode - Rat, which narrows down the death search period.

I notice the 27 Nov 1749 marriage was a "Fleet, clandestine" marriage ie. no questions asked.

Checking subsequent baptisms the timing of these births point to 2 separate people giving birth -

Charles, bap 24 Nov 1759 at 29 days old, abode - Ratc, parents - Charles and Margaret Paulin, father - bricklayer, Parish - St. Dunstan, Stepney, Church address - Stepney High Street
    John, bap 5 Dec 1759 at 10 days old, abode - Halfway House, parents - Charles and Sarah Paulin, father - bricklayer, Parish - St George in the East, Church address - Cannon Street Road

There's another birth at Halfway House -
    John, bap 9 Jan 1757 at 23 days old, abode - Halfway House, parents - Charles and Sarah Paulin, father bricklayer, Parish - St George in the East Stepney, Church address - Cannon Street Road

but muddying the waters, and placing Sarah in "Ratclif" -
    Sarah, bap 26 Jan 1754 at 25 days old, abode - Ratc, parents - Charles and Sarah Paulin, Parish - St Dunstan Stepney, Church address - Stepney High Street

Doesn't quite add up.

Note - these are all based on FMP transcripts apart from the Paulin/Elliot 1749 marriage - though the original is partly illegible.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast