Knowledgeable and helpful

Default When did he return from Canada?

I have previously asked for help with this on another forum, but without success. I hope I may have better luck here.

John Cowling (b 1873) and Christopher Postlethwaite (b 1885), both of Brentor, Devon, sailed from Southampton for New York on 29 April 1914. On arrival at Ellis Island they declared their destination as North Bay, Ontario.

Christopher landed back in Liverpool from Montreal on 16 November 1914, but I can find no trace of John's return. It is just possible that he travelled with Christopher but that his name has been obscured by inaccurate recording/transcription.

John had previously returned from Canada in December 1911 and December 1912 and I have documentary evidence that he was in U K by 1919. Any help in tracing his third return trip will be very much appreciated.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Not sure if this is the same person

John COWLING died 30 Sept 1940 of Woodford Cottage Brentnor Devon Probate to William Francis COWLING agri eng Llandudno 10 December 1940 est £328/12/8d

John Cowling
    Arrival Date 19 Jul 1911
    Port of Arrival Niagara Falls, New York, USA
    Age 37
    Birth Date abt 1874
    Birth Place Devon
    Birth Country England
    Job desc Stone Mason

John Cowling
    Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
    Arrival Date: 16 Dec 1911
    Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
    Ports of Voyage: Plymouth
    Ship Name: Olympic

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks. That is the same person and I do have those details. The mystery I am now trying to solve is when he arrived back in UK from his 1914 trip to Canada. Not essential in one sense, as I have record of most other important events in his life, but I would like to have each link of the chain in place.

pippycat

No idea why he doesn't show up in a search, but John returned back on the same journey as Chris Postlewaite 16 Nov 1914.

...go back 3 pages from the Postlewaite entry - John Cowling, Bricklayer of Brentor is 2nd from last on the page.

Rebecca

No idea why he doesn't show up in a search, but John returned back on the same journey as Chris Postlewaite 16 Nov 1914
    He's been indexed as: John Cawling