Thread: A Birth in 1856

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default A Birth in 1856

I'm trying to find the birth of Catherine O'Hanlon in about 1856. All I know, from her 1878 marriage to Edward Hume, is that her father was John O'Hanlon, a soldier.

I have no idea where she might have been born but she married Edward Hume in the parish of Shankhill, Lurgan and her first child was born there. Further children were born in Armagh. Edward Hume was a soldier and in Armagh when he wasn't overseas.

I think Catherine may have been Roman Catholic as some of the children, not all, refer to themselves as such in later life.

Any ideas, anyone??

Checked the possibility of finding Catherine/Edward on a post 1890 Census following Edward Winter Hume's discharge from the army 1890 (born Allahabad, 1851, wife Catherine O'Hanlon - from FMP)

Found an Edward de Winter Hume, India British Subject in 1901 at RG13 3287 118 8 - but wife is Elizabeth, born Whitchurch. Did Edward re-marry Ormskirk 1898 or is this not "your" Edward?

There is an FMP military record for a John O'Hanlon, 33rd Foot, born Lurgan, 1831 - served only 1yr 41 days and was discharged Nov 1856 at Chatham. Trade = Weaver.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Yes, you've found the right Edward. He 'adopted' the de Winter when he re-married Elizabeth. I know reams and reams about them but nothing about Catherine and as she is the mother of all his children (my ancestors) it's her I really want to find.

There are quite a few Catherine's with father John I've found and I'm not sure how I can determine who is 'mine'. And, I was hoping to get a birth record to pin down her mother.

Statutory birth registration only started in Ireland in 1864 so you won’t get a birth certificate for Catherine. The best you may get is her baptism.

If her maiden name was O’Hanlon then I’d say you are fairly safe in assuming she was RC. Shankill RC baptism records start in 1822. There’s a copy in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. The records are also on the rootsireland site (pay to view). There is a record there of a Catherine Hanlin baptised 1856 in Shankill RC parish, but whether it’s your Catherine, I can’t say. You would need to purchase it.

(If not previously familiar with Irish names, the O’ & Mc prefixes are detachable and you will often find them removed in one set of records and present in the next. Very much the whim of the person recording the information, as it isn’t an integral part of the name.)
    ELWYN

That's helpful re Irish surnames. I've searched, many times, for Catherine O'Hanlon on rootsireland and get too many to deal with. When I put in father's first name as John I get down to 10 but none in Armagh. Shankill is/was Armagh?

The only other 'clue' I have is a witness on Catherine's 1878 marriage certificate - Elizabeth O'Hanlon. This could be a sister or mother. The informant on Catherine's 1897 death certificate is Betsy O'Hanlon described as a sister.

Yes Shankill is a parish in Co Armagh, and includes the town of Lurgan. (There are other Shankills elsewhere in Ireland).

There were lots of soldiers stationed in that area in the 1800s and you see a lot of marriages and baptisms in those registers to military families. People didn’t travel very far in Ireland in those days (unless you were a soldier). The chances are that Catherine & Edward met in Lurgan. (But if they did meet elsewhere, then it’s a bit of a needle in haystack). Some thing to remember too is that not all RC parishes records are on-line, so the matches you are getting are not necessarily all possible ones. (And some parishes have lost their records for the 1800s too).
    ELWYN