Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Default Will beneficiaries data base?

Just curious whether there is a database, as I couldn't see one on a web search. Although the pcc wills are now readily available, the benaficiaries are not indexed, as I just tested Ancestry with the benaficiary Richard Hopper SHREWSBURY (son of Abraham & Ann nee WESTON bap. 19 November 1788 at Deal, Kent).

Richard Hopper SHREWSBURY is named in the Will of George PHILPOT of Ramsgate, who was buried at St. Laurence in Thanet, Ramsgate 1813 (will dated 26 Oct proved 11 Nov 1813)

Richard Hopper Shrewsbury was a Linen Draper of the Town & port of Dover, bequeathed £50.

I guess you won't be interested in the Scotlands People DB?

Wilkes_ml

Also mentioned in the will of George PHILPOT was George HURST so of John HURST late of Ramsgate aforesaid Rope maker. George Hurst appears to have been born 3rd March 1797, baptised 2nd April 1797 at St. Lawrence in Thanet (Ramsgate) son of John & Sarah.

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I guess you won't be interested in the Scotlands People DB?
    I'd be interested in that for my own ancestors, so will have a look at that, thanks.

What I thought would be a good idea is a database that people can add to so that other people's relative could be found. The only problem I'm finding is being able to read surnames that I'm not familiar with, especially in the older wills.

Wilkes_ml

basically my Ancestor suddenly appears in Margate at the age of 8 (from Trinity house Petition application where I get full details of his wife & children, but not him!) So my plan is to work through all the wills of everone in Margate from when he was born about 1777 onwards, in case someone mentions him, his wife or children....a mammoth task I know, and doing so I'm bound to come across many people named.

Looks like it could be another one of my ongoing threads

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    Looks like it could be another one of my ongoing threads
    Indeed! I have made the thread a sticky so that you can find it easily to add to, as of course can others if they have beneficiaries to add. At least then the surnames will come up in searches.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Famous for offering help & advice

I believe some family history societies have databases of wills and all names in them, but as with everything else, societies vary greatly.

For Kent there are a number of will transcripts on Maureen Rawson's Kent Genealogy site: https://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mrawson/
    and the 1813 George Philpot will is one of those included.

The site has a search engine which finds Richard Hopper Shrewsbury, but for me it didn't work if I put the name in inverted commas; take them away and I got 10 hits. (Firefox's Search Site add-on found rather more hits for some reason.)

Arthur
    Last edited by arthurk; 24-03-2014 at 4:59 PM. Reason: typo

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Indeed! I have made the thread a sticky so that you can find it easily to add to, as of course can others if they have beneficiaries to add. At least then the surnames will come up in searches.
    Thanks Sue, hopefully other people will add to it...it's surprising how many people who appear to be non-related from other counties are being mentioned, just in the first few I have looked at.

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I believe some family history societies have databases of wills and all names in them, but as with everything else, societes vary greatly.

For Kent there are a number of will transcripts on Maureen Rawson's Kent Genealogy site: https://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mrawson/
    and the 1813 George Philpot will is one of those included.

The site has a search engine which finds Richard Hopper Shrewsbury, but for me it didn't work if I put the name in inverted commas; take them away and I got 10 hits. (Firefox's Search Site add-on found rather more hits for some reason.)

Arthur
    Thanks Arthur, I'll have a look at that...I'm surprised it didn't turn up in the google search I did initially

southistle

The Surrey Plus Wills Index

https://www.rootsweb.com/~engsurry/index.shtml

Has wills for Surrey and several other counties

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast