Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    raineshoe

Default Find My Past Searches

Has anyone tried the new search facility on Find My Past? I've just tried to use the address search for a family that are particularly difficult to research. Under the old system I could find them easily using the address search and an address from a certificate as the search would bring up the addresses and I could go to the house number relevant and take a look to see if they were there. Difficult family with changing surnames and other things. Now the search thows up a list of people rather than the addresses and its impossible to find the family I'm looking for it that makes sense.

Has anyone else found the new search facilities less than satisfactory?

I still get the old address search option with a banner at the top telling me the new search is coming. Perhaps they are rolling it out gradually?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Reputation beyond repute

They seem to be rolling it out gradually and haven't inflicted it on me yet but I've been reading comments about it on other forums. People were not impressed.

If it's not possible to search the census by address I'll also be very disgruntled.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I still get the "old" search, thank heavens - I couldn't cope with 2 new search methods, and I am still grappling with Ancestry's changes.

However, FMP have made a news release about it together with a video (which I am going to watch after writing this)

https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/2014/yo...ts-new-search/

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    However, FMP have made a news release about it together with a video (which I am going to watch after writing this)
    I have just watched it, and it was hardly earth shattering.

At the bottom of the news release is a blog discussion about the changes, and the tenor of comments is overwhelming negative.

I also suspect that I have not defaulted to the new search, because I don't log out of the site. Sooner or later it / my system periodically logs me out of everything, and then I will have to learn to live with or not as the case may be!

raineshoe

I must say the other searches aren't as good either. I find the results confusing ie not as clear cut as before. Having said that though there is a broader search for most things than there used to be so in some respects better. Its just the census address search that I find so maddening as its not always clear cut with an ancestor's name and to be able to look under the address made an awful lot of difference, particularly where this particular family are concerned as if you search on the name you get no results, but if you search on the address and pull the house number for them you find them and consequently they've changed their identities or something, but I know from experience whether its the right people or not and other evidence I have. I tested the address search knowing they were at one of the addresses although under a different name and it came up with a complete blank ie 0 results. I know on the old search I got a result with house number and address results. Grrrr. You can tell I'm not happy.

The best thing to do is to contact FMP and state your case. They might not change anything because of it but you will have put your point directly to them. I have found that they do listen even when they can't change something.
    Oh and this way they get to see precisely how many customers are not pleased and as they want you to continue to subscribe they will listen
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

raineshoe

I have contacted FMP, but not had a reply yet, probably because its the weekend. Just wanted to know what others thought really. Suspect from the responses that a gradual implementation to see what people think is happening so they can correct things without being flooded with complaints. I'd prefer in some ways to have the old search back though.

After reading these posts I went to FMP by clicking on the icon on my desktop, which keeps me logged in. I went to the homepage to see what it looked like, then I logged out. Stupid, stupid, stupid!! It won't let me back in to search the records. Oh it welcomes me, tells me I have a world sub, but when I try to access the transcriptions and images it asks me to take out credits or a sub.
    I have emailed them - for the second time in 5 days.
    The first time was for the same thing but I was trying to access the site using the Australian FMP site and that doesn't work even though I have a world sub. They say you can only access the site from the one you obtained the subscription to. I made sure I was in the uk site this time.
    I did also mention dissatisfaction with the address search, thought I may as well whilst I was ranting and then I filled in their survey

It'll probably turn out to be something I am not doing to the satisfaction of their IT thingy stuff, but does that prove my point that the site could be more user friendly?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I was doing all of the above on my notebook. Have just tried it on desktop pc and I am still logged in on the old search!

No, I am not going to log out to see if I can get back in.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast