Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Brick wall demolition expert!

They seem to have improved the census transcription pages - if you scroll past the individual person at the bottom you get the household in the order they appear on the original, but for the address and reference numbers you have to go back to the individual, so you still can't out a single household on 1 page give all the information. The other drawback is that the occupations only appear on the individual transcript rather than the household summary.

raineshoe

It seems since I first posted my displeasure at the new search not a lot has changed despite FMP claiming they are working on it. I've now had my subscription extended for two months. Wow, great, but useless when you have such awful search facilities. I have a feeling by the time this awful, awful mess is put right we'll all be in our boxes and being researched ourselves, although as pointed out our descendents won't be able to find us with FMP if it still exists by then. I also don't like the high handed attitude FMP have taken in banning people from their FB page that disagree with them and point out the error of their ways. Not good as creates yet more bad press for them. If nothing changes by the time my subscription is due for renewal I won't be renewing no matter what records they have. I'll make do without I think. This is a tragedy, a complete decimation of what was once a good resource.

Hi raineshoe
    coincidence that you should post again just now because it was only early this morning as I was making a cuppa and the mind was wandering that I decided I was not going to renew my sub with FMP as I really do use it as a very last resort now.
    Apart from all the search stuff that is sooo long winded, just the basic thing of having to wait forever for an image to load drives me mad. If they can't even fix that what hope is there for anything else being changed soon. When using the site I have no confidence that I have actually found all that is there to be found.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Copper

I also have no confidence that I have found all there is to find for my ancestors on FMP.

If they ever sort the site out it will take many more months :-(

raineshoe

Have to say I'm now researching whether Trading Standards could be brought in to take action re FMP as I am sick of the shambles of search facilities. I wish they wouldn't keep adding records to fuel an already shambolic web site. They seem to think that having all these records to search will keep people there, but its no good having the records if you can't trust the results. They've had a year nearly to fix it all and its no better than it was. Very annoyed with it all

Hi rainshoe
    I completely agree with you and have actually had some correspondence with FMP in the last week or so.
    It initially was about my subscription and in the middle of the fiasco I was sent a generic email offering an incentive to me if I recommended their site to friends! I told them that I could not do that as it was beyond cumbersome to navigate even for an experienced user.
    I have the beta version which is no better than the one they foisted on us last year - I pointed that out to them also, adding that it is pointless asking us for our opinion if they then completely ignore what the hundreds/thousands of members had told them 12 months ago!
    I use FMP as the very last resort in my research and won't be renewing.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

raineshoe

Not just me then

I have a while before membership lapses. I have said to them I don't know why I keep going back, but I do as a last resort, but when my membership lapses I don't know what I will do. They have records I want, but I can never be sure that the results I get returned are correct or not ie if there is no family member showing is it because its poorly indexed or is it because its genuinely not there. I so despair as it once was one of the best sites on the web, and like you say they have taken no notice whatsoever of all the complaints and some have really laid into them, but nothing its like water off a ducks back. It has been intimated in some quarters that they are after a large slice of the US market and that's what they are interested in with quantity rather than quality. I suspect this is probably true to a degree.

Knowledgeable and helpful

If you have been used to the old Findmypast site and the way searches used to be made then perhaps you will have better results by changing the way you search the site.

It has been found that giving too much information restricts the results.

Try changing your method of searching and you may be plesantly surprised.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

raineshoe

I've tried and struggled for nearly a year with the new FMP and tried loads of info in the boxes, been frugal with info in the boxes, tried swapping info around and I either get missing data, data that was there before but has now disappeared and all sorts. I stupidly keep going back as I don't get much time to do family history and when I do I want to find stuff as quickly and as efficiently as possible to make the best use of my time. I keep going back to FMP in the hope that things have improved and they haven't. Since the remodelling of the site the searches are no longer easy to conduct. I am not alone in my complaints as you can see from Trustpilot and their Facebook page. Not impressed at all, a once excellent site has been effectively in my opinion brought to its knees for the UK market anyway. Think they are setting their sights on the US market with quantity not quality, but that's what happens when its a business. Incidentally I have been doing family history on and off since at least 1981 so not an inexperienced researcher but I cannot try as I might get to grips with FMPs new search system.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213