Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

I wonder what would happen if you stayed logged in and refreshed the screen - this should stop your puter using the cookies and make it use the website shouldn't it?
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

As someone still on the old version may I ask a specific question?

Is access to the "Enumerator's List" on the 1911 Census still quite straightforward, or indeed, still possible - presently a simple click-on at top of screen when viewing original image? Have read separately of someone being unable to find it in the new version.

Yours with trepidation,
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

MythicalMarian

Well, I'm totally confused here. I have just rejoined FMP now that they do monthly continuous subs (the only thing that had kept me away for so long), and I have spent many hours over the weekend searching addresses on the censuses. Everything is still the same for me - I swear it. And even when I go to log in on another machine in the house, it is still the same old search. If I can help anyone with a look up, please PM me the details and I'll do my best.

Famous for offering help & advice

Default FMP searches

I too can still access the original search on FMP on the laptop,when using the I Pad its the new version. I have played around on the I Pad version and am not impressed!
    Searches are nowhere near as simple and they have not found any of the records I have looked for despite them appearing on the old search!

I received a very prompt reply from FMP last night. Like Ladkyis they suggested clearing the browsing history, which I did.

They then said that as I had subscribed through FMP Australia I would not be able to log in to the NEW UK site. This is the opposite of what I was told last week and in fact my sub was with fmp UK so what it boils down to is - I have cleared the cookies and followed their advice from last week and am now happily logged in to FMP UK with the old search.

I'll think twice before messing about with it again. Sorry helachau.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Christanel.
    Apologies for any problems caused on my behalf.
    My starting point - As a user of FMP, still on the old system, I can access the "Enumerator's List" on the 1911 Census with a simple click-on at top of screen when viewing original image.
    All I wanted to know, from anyone on the new system, was whether this was (a) still the case or (b) the facility had been removed or (c) the access had changed but the "Enumerator's List" was still available

Brick wall demolition expert!

Well now here is another puzzle for us all.

Normally I use Internet Explorer, but for some time now every time I want to look at an original document on Findmypast I can only get the screen to about an inch deep, so that it looks like this:

I have tried all sorts of things to correct it, but without success. So tonight I thought lets try using Firefox and see if that is any different. Now I had to log on (Internet Explorer) keeps me logged on, and I got a whole new message basically stating that the entire FMP platform is changing, not just the search engine, and that this will enable them to release new records every month. This apparently is going to happen over the next few months.

Unfortunately, because I was wanting to see if I had fixed the original document problem, I closed that bit of the window, and have not been able to find it again. It was basically asking if I wanted to participate in early trials of the system.

As an aside using Firefox as the browser cures the document view problem, which still persists in Internet Explorer ..............

Brick wall demolition expert!

FMP have a news blog specifically about how to search censuses in the new form. They state:

Previously on findmypast, a census search would be a choice between a person or address search, but now you can do both at the same time, and use information about a person and address to more quickly refine your search.

It then goes on to talk about fields with browse links in them, and how you have to select different options.

It will probably take some getting used to, but as all the sites seem to be changing, the next few months will no doubt leave me dreaming nostalgically of the past, when life (and search engines) were simple .....

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Christanel.
    My starting point - As a user of FMP, still on the old system, I can access the "Enumerator's List" on the 1911 Census with a simple click-on at top of screen when viewing original image.
    All I wanted to know, from anyone on the new system, was whether this was (a) still the case or (b) the facility had been removed or (c) the access had changed but the "Enumerator's List" was still available
    helechau you weren't the cause of the problems with FMP My curiosity and FMP's changing system combined to jolt me out of my complacency.

It seems to me that ancestry and fmp are going to have very similar search facilities in the future.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Christanel.
    "Converted" to new FMP earlier today - but unable to answer my own question. Internet Explorer users are denied access to original images under new FMP. This had been a problem with India Office Records on old FMP, although all other images were accessible. Now all images inaccessible.
    FMP's "frequently asked questions" tells me a fix is on the way but an immediate solution is to switch to Google Chrome. Sadly, I'm not at all comfortable with change.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast