harbourlady99

Default Hurley family - St Helier, Jersey

I have the Hurley family all born in St Helier, the parents were Robert Hurley and his wife Sarah A (surname unknown) children are Amelia Ann 1851, William Henry 1854, Mary Jane 856, Susan warren 1859, Alice m 1867, George 1869, Edith Grace 1874, Robert Milson 1863. I am pretty sure that the parents were married there too, but have not been able to confirm the dates. Can anyone help please!

Nicolina

have found some of the family on the Census. In 1901 Robert, a Carman born England about 1831, was living at Don Road, St. Helier (RG13 Folio 169 Piece 5311)
    also living there were daughter Susan MORGAN, born about 1859, and her children, Amelia (1890), Elsie (1893), Robert (1895) and Grace (1897)
    all born St. Helier.

Nicolina

in 1871 they were living at Pier Road, St Helier.
    Robert H. b 1829
    Sarah A. b. abt. 1829
    William b. abt. 1854
    Mary J. b. abt. 1856
    Susan W. b. abt. 1859
    Robert b. abt. 1864
    Alice M. b. abt. 1867
    George b. abt. 1869

the image is vert faint but Robert H's occupation looks like Slater, Both he and Sarah A. were born in England.

harbourlady99

Thank you for getting back so quick. I have found the family only through the census'. Could the parents have been born in the channel Islands even though it says England?

Reputation beyond repute

What's the earliest census return you've found them in (and where)?

Don't you think you need some birth certificates? I think you do. GenUKI will tell you how to order them. Once you know the mother's maiden name, you can start looking for a marriage.

Which of the children is your ancestor? What does his or her marriage certificate say?

Wilkes_ml

I agree with Peter that you need to obtain at least one birth certificate to find mother's maiden name. That should then give you the information to need to identify their marriage.

If they both consistently said they were born England, then there is no reason to suspect they weren't. However as they appear to have been born about 1829, and there were no birth certificates prior to 1837, identifying their more specific place of birth & subsequent baptism (if they were even baptised) may be difficult.

But to start with a child's birth certificate is a must...I'm not sure about Jersey birth certificate, but they may be like Scottish ones and give more details than th English ones.

Stewart Hill

You can look at the baptism records at the Jersey Archive web-site https://search.jerseyheritage.org/ It is NOT the most user-friendly site but I can see that Amelia Ann was born 14th Apr 1851 and baptised 4th Sep 1853. Parents were Robert Henry Hurley and Sarah Hardin. William Henry was baptised on the same day but born 5th Aug 1853. Robert was a labourer.

Stewart