Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Researching my maternal lineage, stuck.

Hello.

I am new to this site and I am glad I found it. I hope it will help me get over this hump of not finding more information. I am researching my maternal lineage, mtDNA and this is what I have so far. I want to continue on via all of the females in my lineage:

Mary Matilda Sheldon born c. 29 January 1904 in Walsall, Staffordshire, England. I have her date of death as August of 1992. She was married to Clifford Chilton, born 2 September 1902 in Cannock and died 1979 in Cannock as well.

I have information that says Mary Matilda's parents were:

Elizabeth Jane (????) born c. 1878 in Walsall, Staffordshire and her father was Josiah Sheldon born April 1876 in Palfrey, Walsall, Staffordshire, England and died in June of 1926 in Walsall. I do have some information on the Sheldon side but I want to find more on the maternal side. I would also like to try and find any Irish connections to my family. I know they are there, I just don't know where.

Mary Matilda and Clifford had several children:

Kathleen Chilton (Hobson) born 1922 in Cannock, Staffordshire. Still living.
    Lilian M. Chilton born c March 1925 in Cannock, Staffordshire. She may have died at birth or one year later.
    Joan Chilton (Broadus) born 25 March 1928 in Cannock, death 13 February 2009 in Lumberton, MS. USA.
    Eveline Chilton born March 1930 in Cannock. May have died at birth or at a very young age.
    Clifford Chilton born 20 October 1931 in Cannock, death May 1988 Stafford
    Leslie Chilton (male) born Sept 1934 in Cannock and I think he's still living.
    James Chilton born March 1937 in Cannock and I believe he's still living as well.
    Mary Chilton (Godwin) born March 1944 in Cannock, Staffordshire, still living.
    Ken Chilton born June 1946 in Cannock and I think he's still living.

Any information that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. I've been stuck at this point for a while now. I have been looking on ancestry.com and it is frustrating because they do not show the mothers' maiden names on any of the birth certificates. If there is a database I can look at online, please let me know.

Thank you!
    Last edited by HeathenSeaWitch; 07-03-2014 at 1:25 AM. Reason: Added more information

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,,welcome to the forum the 1911 census states Josiah and Elizabeth have been married 11 years

Name:
    SHELDON, Josiah

Registration district:
    Walsall

County:
    Staffordshire

Year of registration:

Quarter of registration:
    Apr-May-Jun

Volume no:
    6B

Page no:

MarriageFinder: Josiah Sheldon married one of the following people:

HORTON, Elizabeth
    RUSSELL, Sarah Ann
    BLEWITT, Charles Thomas

you will not find birth certificates online,,,,you may find the birth registration index,,,after 1912,,,the mothers maiden name is given.

for example

Name:
    CHILTON, Eveline

Registration district:
    Cannock

County:
    Staffordshire

Year of registration:

Quarter of registration:
    Jan-Feb-Mar

Mother's maiden name:
    Sheldon

Volume no:
    6B

Page no:

you would need to purchase Josiahs marriage certificate in order to progress,,,,there are too many Elizabeth Horton candidates,,,,if indeed that is the correct marriage,,,,,she has no middle initial of J for Jayne,,,,however,,i suspect it will be the correct one.

the 1911 census states Elizabeth was born PLEOK,,,,Which I think is actually Pleck

https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25506

Quote Originally Posted by gortonboy View Post
    the 1911 census states Elizabeth was born PLEOK,,,,Which I think is actually Pleck

https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25506
    You're fast! :-) Thank you for the information! That name of Horton sounds familiar. I did all of this years ago but lost the information :-( You may be onto something with that.

Births Jun 1878
    Horton Elizabeth Jane, Walsall 6b/752

I found her and her parents!!! (Elizabeth Jane) Gortonboy, you got me over that hump, thank you so much!!!

I found a family tree on ancestry.com with her parents in it. They are:

Josiah Horton 1855 - 1892
    Caroline Taylor Andrews 1859 -

Got it, thanks!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast