Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kathys

Default new to this need help.

hi looking for family member all I know is his name is :POWLEY, CHARLES HENRY and was in ww1
    at the battle of somme, he didn't come,
    he is buried at GROVE TOWN CEMETERY, MEAULTE
    I don't no much more, like what he look like ( if I could get a pic, if there are any, where to go ect
    I do no that he was in Essex Regiment
    I also no that non of my family be down to see his grave and I would very much like to go.
    if any one can help me I would be very greatfully
    .x

Wilkes_ml

Charles Henry POWLEY died 22nd November 1916 aged 25 and his grave number is II. K. 17. (from https://www.cwgc.org/)

What information would you like? Do you not know who his parents were?

Wilkes_ml

A Charles Henry Powley birth registration in September Quarter 1891 Swaffham Registration (Norfolk) District Ref 4b 370 is likely to be the one you are looking for. There doesn't appear to be a marriage for him, but his death certificate is in the GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to 1921) , though I do not know if the death certificate would give his next of kin details (which i would assume to be one of his parents).

Maybe someone can find his World war 1 service documents which may give his place of birth to help confirm the birth registration is the correct one.

Wilkes_ml

Charlels Henry appears to be the son of William & Sarah Jane POWLEY.

In 1911 the family are at Castleacre Street, Swaffham Ref : RG14; Piece: 11710; Schedule Number: 19

William aged 42, born Narborough is a Groom
    Sarah Jane, aged 40 born Swaffham married 25 years, 7 children all surviving none deceased
    son Charles Powley is 19, born Swaffham and is a warehouseman
    son Walter is aged 13, born Swaffham
    son Herbert aged 11, born Swaffham
    daughter Minnie aged 8, V
    son Percy aged 4, born Swaffham
    Elizabeth WILSON mother-in-law aged 66, born Swaffham, married with 6 children, all surviving
    Minni Wilson (single) sister aged 29 born Swaffham

Wilkes_ml

The 1901 Census for William & Sarah Jane POWLEY is written very badly so I'm not surprised the entry is transcribed as PORTLEY on Ancestry

At the same address of Castleacre Street, Swaffham Ref: RG13; Piece: 1898; Folio: 73; Page: 3

William aged 32, occupation: Groom Domestic, born Narborough
    Sarah age 30 born Swaffham
    son William age 12 , born Swaffham
    son Charles aged 9, born Swaffham
    son Paddy? (indexed as Dudley) aged 7 born Swaffham
    son Walter aged 3 born Swaffham
    son Herbert aged 6 months born Swaffham

Wilkes_ml

I'm not sure whether Ancestry has just the "unburnt" world war 1 service records, but I could not find Charles' service records on there.

Here is the National Archives explanation about the "burnt & "unburnt" records https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/p...r_soldiers.htm

edited to add that I do not believe there would be any photos of him in the service records. Are there any other family members (ie, nieces or nephews of him) who may have passed on photos?

kathys

thank you very much for your help.

QUOTE=Wilkes_ml;582352]Charles Henry POWLEY died 22nd November 1916 aged 25 and his grave number is II. K. 17. (from https://www.cwgc.org/)

What information would you like? Do you not know who his parents were?[/QUOTE]

kathys

thank you

Wilkes_ml

No Probs...I've sent you a PM regarding where you could go from here.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Medal Card
    Charle Henry POWLEY

Norfolk Regiment 3/7302 Private
    Essex Regiment 205/33 Private
    Medals
    Victory & British R/2/102B8/page 970
    14 Star K/1/397

No army record on Ancestry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast