Default PHILIP SIMONS- ELIZABETH (BETSY) BENJAMIN

In a previous thread - see Benjamin Simons and Hanna Crawcour- I referred to a copy of a family tree I held on the Philip Simons/Betsy Benjamin lines and also the related Isaac Jacobs lines. This family tree ( hand written) was recorded by Fanny Lang nee Simons some 70+years ago. Fanny was the daughter of Benjamin Simons and Hanna Crawcour via Benjamin's second marriage. I am posting a series of data based on the family tree as part of my promise to a descendant of the Simons lines. Until the present I have not sought to verify the data on the tree and am aware that there are several family trees in the public domain that contain data on the families - some data is accurate and other data not.
    As an initial start on the family tree here is the marriage record on Synagogue Scribes website for Philip Simons and Betsy Benjamin- see GSM 084/17- Philip Simons (Pais) - father's Hebrew name Schwarz/Schwarts Meir- Betsy Benjamin( Beila) father's Hebrew name Raphael - married 28 Dec 1803.

There are several records on JewishGen London traders which refer to Philip Simons- fruiter 16 Brydges St Covent Garden Sun Fire Records 1830s; also linked to Henry Phillips Lodging house keeper-8 Little Russell St Covent Graden 1839; 17 Little Russell St Covent Graden 21/05/1830.
    See also JewishGen 1851 British Census Subject ID 236 Benjamin Simons which refer to his address and family

In the 1841 British Census Philip Simons ( surname spelt SIMMONS) is living with his wife Elizabeth ( Betsy) and Samuel GARCIA and his family.
    Strand St.Paul Covent Garden ( Copyright, TNA) H0107 741 5 17 50 16
    Simon Garcia 30 Sheffield dealer b in county; Sarah Garcia 29; Philip Garcia 6mths; Michael Garcia 2; PHILLIP SIMONS 60; ELIZABETH SIMONS 54; Rebecca Simons 17; ELIZABETH PHILLIPS 11 - all are born in county.

It is likely that Philip Simons died Dec qtr 1843 St Martins 1 128. I have yet to confirm the accuracy of this date and when Elizabeth died.

The Garcia; Davis;Phillips;Moses;Crawcour; Levy and other lines relate through marriage.

My own interest has been in researching the Simons/Crawcour lines but I will add relevant data on the other lines in future posts.

I do not currently have any information regarding the origins of Philip Simons or Elizabeth Benjamin. The family tree begins with Philip Simons and Elizabeth Benjamin.
    Their children recorded on the family tree ( no dates are given for dob or death) are: Sarah m Samuel Garcia; Samuel; Rebecca m David Levy; Phoebe m Harry Phillips; Leah m Harry Phillips ( this data suggests that Harry Phillips married sisters but needs confirming); Benjamin married 1 Rebecca JACOBS 2 Hanna CRAWCOUR

Under Phoebe Simons and Harry Phillips the name of their daughter Betsy is recorded with a marriage to Samuel Jacobs and under Leah Simons/Harry Phillips the note says "many children"; for Benjamin Simons and Rebecca Jacobs their children are- Adelaide; Michael; Clara and for the second marriage with Hanna Crawcour the children are- Philip; Charles; John; Fanny. Further research indicates that John is Isidor John Simons.
    Under Charles Simons the tree records his marriage to Minnie PHILLIPS with children named as Kenneth; Marjory; Gerald D.
    Under Marjory the name ? JONES and Michael SIMON is recorded
    NB The small handwritten print is often difficult to read and all data requires confirming.
    It is also difficult to identify the precise lines descending from the children of Benjamin and his first wife Rebecca and I need to research these before posting further.

I will post in a lot more detail the Scotland Census data which relates to Benjamin Simons and Hanna Crawcour as well as the earlier British Census for Benjamin and his first wife.

There are also several references to the lines in The Jewish Victorian Genealogical Information from the British Newspapers vols 1861-70; 1871-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger - I will post on these plus the Cemetery Scribes and Synagogue Scribes records.

Phillip

Default BENJAMIN SIMONS- HANNA CRAWCOUR

The Simons/Benjamin hand written family tree contains a range of individual names and various marriages all of which require confirming and I am aware that some individuals may still be alive so will not post their names.
    The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Pub Robert Boyd refers to the Marriage of Benjamin Simons to Hanna Crawcour- 6.11.1861 at 13 Hutchinson Place Gravesend- Hanna daughter of the late Barnett Crawcour of Norwich and Benjamin Simons. Barnett Crawcour was married twice - his first wife died in Norwich in 1813 and his second wife was Fanny ALEXANDER. I have posted a range of data on the Crawcour lines on this forum.
    Berger also records the death of Samuel Simons brother of Benjamin- Samuel Simons died 3.5.1866 at Vinegar Yard, Drury lane aged 59 and there is reference to his relatives- Mrs Samuel Garcia sister; Samuel Garcia brother in law; Rebecca LEVY sister; David Levy brother in law- see Cemetery Scribes ID 2723 for data on Samuel Simons 1808-1866. See also Berger for the Hanna Crawcour relatives- Mrs Reuben Alexander sister; Samuel Barczinsky brother in law; Martha Crawcour sister; Sara Crawcour sister; Bernhard Barczinsky brother in law- I have also posted on the Barczinsky lines on this forum
    In Berger 1861-70 volume reference is made to the marriage of Clara Simons daughter of Benjamin to Isidor MORRIS - 23.6.1868 at 40 Cannon Street Glasgow Clara Simons only daughter of Benjamin Simons.
    The death of Mrs David LEVY sister of Samuel, Benjamin and Rebecca Simons was also noted in Berger 1861-70- Death Mrs David Levy -2 Tavistock Garden Feb 17,1870.

Michael Simons son of Benjamin Simons married ALICE CARLOTTA MOSES on Tues 2.11.1869 at the residence of the bride's parents- Alice Carlotta MOSES youngest daughter of SAMUEL MOSES of Boa Vista, TASMANIA and 19 York Terrace Regent's Park London - reference made in the record to Gertrude Moses sister in law to Michael Simons; Frederick E DAVIS brother in law to Michael.

Sarah GARCIA nee SIMONS died in 1873- Her probate- Sarah Garcia late of 2 Tavistock St Covent Garden Middlesex widow died 31 July 1873 at same adress Proved by Philip Henry Garcia 9 James St Covent Garden Fruit merchant and Michael John Garcia 59 Gower St Middx Fruit merchant the sons; Asher Asher M.D. 10 Bernard St Russell Square and Lawrence ENGEL 19 Bloomsbury Square Middx Umbrella and Parasol manufacturer the Executors - Effects under £3000

More to follow.
    Phillip

Default BENJAMIN SIMONS LINES

In this post I will put a range of data on the Benjamin Simons lines starting with his first marriage to Rebecca Jacobs-
    1841 British Census Alfred Place Lambeth Surrey- HO107 10602 65 14 (Copyright,TNA)
    Benjamin Simons 25 Fruiterer not born in county;Rebecca Simons 24 not b in county;Louisa Simons 4mths b in county +1 servant. On the same page and following on from the Simons appear- Abraham Jacobs 30 tobacconist; Rosetta Jacobs 20; Simon Jacobs 6 ; Esther Jacobs 5; Henry Jacobs 2 ; Hannah Jacobs 5mths none born in county
    1851 Scotland Census
    Glasgow ED22 19 16 (Copyright Scotland Archives)- 49 Gallow Gate Glasgow Benjamin Simons 34 fruiterer b England; Rebecca Simons 32 b England; Michael Simons 9; Clara Simons 7
    1861 Scotland Census Glasgow 40 Cannon St - ED9 310 1861-96 Glasgow ( Copyright Scotland Archives)- Benjamin Simons 44 fruit merchant; Michael Simons 18; Clara Simons 17
    1871 Scotland Census 40 Cannon St Glasgow (Copyright Scotland Archives)- Benjamin Simons 55 Fruit broker b England; Hannah Simons 40 b England; Philip B Simons 3 b Glasgow; Charles M Simons 6 b Glasgow; Isidor 2 b Glasgow; Fanny E Simons 1 b Glasgow
    1881 Scotland Census 201 Bath St Glasgow ED7211 14 1881-231 (Copyright Scotland Archives)- Benjamin Simons 62 Fruit broker b England; Hannah 46 b England; Philip B 18 b Glasgow general clerk-lawyer; Charles M 16 b Glasgow Shipbroker's clerk; Isidor J 12 b Glasgow; Fanny E 11 b Glasgow; +1 servant
    I will post data on the 1891 Scotland Census
    In the 1901 Scotland Census ED 59 4 18 1901-300 (Copyright Scotland Archives)- Hannah Simons H 72 living on own means; Philip B 38 writer; Isidor 30 soft goods merchant; Fanny E 30
    Phillip

Default CHARLES MORRIS SIMONS -MINNIE DORA PHILLIPS

This post provides initial data on the Charles Morris Simons and Minnie Dora Phillips line. Charles Morris Simons born 1 July 1864 -father Benjamin Simons; mother Hanna Crawcour - Scotland select births and baptisms records. Charles died in 1948- Charles Morris Simons Probate-25 Kingsborough Gardens Glasgow W2 Died 15 April 1948 Confirmation of John Harold Senior Accountant and Harold Lavender Jones- sealed London.
    1911 British Census RG14 645 (Copyright, TNA) -22 Canfield Gardens Hampstead - Charles Morris Simons 46 fruit broker b Glasgow married 19 years 3 children born 2 alive 1 died; Minnie Dora Simons 44 b Birmingham; Kenneth John Simons 19 b Hampstead assistant fruit broker
    Marjorie Hannah Simons was the daughter of Charles and Minnie. She was born Dec qtr 1893 Hampstead 1a 601 and married Harold Lavender Jones - Marriage June qtr 1923 Paddington 1a 152. She died 17 Dec 1928.
    Kenneth John Simons was born 23 May 1892 and died 24 Dec 1965. He married Edith Stella Debra Bennett on 29 Oct 1913. He applied for Divorce in 1918 - National Archives Divorce Court Record File 2091- Appellant Kenneth John Simons Respondent Edith Stella Debra Simons co-respondent Roger Norman Liptrot. In the Canada Ocean Arrival records 16 May 1920 Kenneth left the UK for Canada to become a fruit farmer. His age was 28 and he was divorced. His father had paid for the passage. He married Constance Barbara Tonge.
    Gerald Benjamin Simon son of Charles and Minnie was born Dec qtr 1895 Hampstead 1a 590 and died Dec qtr 1895 Hampstead 1a 402

Phillip

Default FANNY ELIZABETH SIMONS AKA LANGENSIEPEN

This is a brief post on Fanny Elizabeth Simons who married Carl /Karl Langensiepen. Fanny was the daughter of Benjamin Simons and Hanna Crawcour. There are numbers of family trees online which contain only brief data about her. In her own handwritten family tree she has recorded only her first name and then marriage to C Langensiepen. There is no date of marriage and no other details. Fanny appears to have shortened her married name to Lang. There is a National Archive UK Record which records Fanny Elizabeth Langensiepen from Germany resident in Glasgow 30 Oct 1920- re- admission. This record suggests that for a period of time she lived abroad but then returned to the UK and settled in Scotland. There is no current record for her marriage or death. There are census and other records which refer to Langensiepen individuals who settled in the UK but these do not indicate any reference to Fanny. There are also numbers of Lang surnames in The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70; 71-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 1999; 2004 Pub Robert Boyd but again these surnames do not link to any of the recorded Simons and associated families.
    I am working my way through the various names recorded on the family tree written by Fanny Lang aka Langensiepen nee Simons and will post further data including newspaper records.
    Phillip

Default BENJAMIN SIMONS-REBECCA JACOBS;HANNA CRAWCOUR

Free BMD have a GRO Marriage Index Record Sept qtr 1840 Strand 1 391 for Rebecca Jacobs and Benjamin SIMINS. This is likely to be the marriage of Rebecca Jacobs and Benjamin Simons but a copy of the record would be required for positive confirmation.
    I hold a copy of the marriage certificate for Benjamin Simons and Hanna Crawcour-6 November 1861 -13 Hutchinson Place Gravesend Kent
    Benjamin Simons full age widower Ship Owner Cannon Street Glasgow Scotland - father Philipp Simons deceased
    Hannah Crawcour full age spinster 13 Hutchinson Place Gravesend Kent - father Barnett Crawcour deceased
    Married at 13 Hutchinson Place According to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Jewish Religion - Lazarus Polack
    Witnesses- Samuel GARCIA; Reuben ALEXANDER

The reference in the marriage certificate to Benjamin being a ship owner can be confirmed because in 1865 the owners of the vessel SS Sarah Garcia built 1865 Glasgow were Benjamin Simons, Glasgow; Samuel Garcia London; Samuel Jacobs London. The ship sank 03/11/1869 Ushant- see Cydesite website for a record of the ship.
    Samuel Garcia died in 1869- Probate Samuel Garcia late of 2 Tavistock St Covent Garden Middx fruit salesman died 20 March 1869 at 19 Bloomsbury Square Middx. Proved by Sarah Garcia widow the relict 2 Tavistock St; Samuel Jacobs 39 Bedford St Covent Garden fruit salesman the executors.
    The Edinburgh Gazette May 27 1864 carried the notice of the dissolution of partnership between Benjamin Simons of the Bazaar City of Glasgow fruit merchant; Samuel Jacobs Covent Garden fruit merchant; Samuel Garcia Covent Garden fruit merchants- English and Foreign Wholesale and retail fruit merchants. Michael Garcia 2 Tavistock St Covent Garden Merchant became a co-partner with Benjamin Simons and Samuel Jacobs in place of Samuel Garcia. The family tree written by Fanny Lang nee Simons includes Daniel and Philip Garcia descending from first name unknown Garcia 1736-1851 with Philip Garcia marrying L? Lyons. This particular line of descent named their children as Jane; Martha; Abraham; Robert; Samuel m Sarah SIMONS.

Phillip