Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Jill, the news report can be found on Trove, his surname has been spelt DAVIS no E. If you can't find it get back to me and I'll talk you through it tomorrow................must think about hitting the pillow now as it's 03.15am here.

I did see somewhere on another forum someone mentioned Annie (nee Davies) also committed suicide, though I've not looked for that report........were you aware of this?

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I did see somewhere on another forum someone mentioned Annie (nee Davies) also committed suicide, though I've not looked for that report........were you aware of this?
    The news report of Annie's suicide is also on Trove............in the search box enter 'Annie Clark suicide 1911'

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    his surname has been spelt DAVIS no E. If you can't find it get back to me and I'll talk you through it tomorrow................must think about hitting the pillow now as it's 03.15am here.
    Apologies, his surname has been spelt DAVIES with the E, in one newspaper.

A fountain of knowledge

Dear Almach

thanks for your further information. I have just attempted Trove for the first time and did in fact find the article
    on James but it was rather garbled and so couldn't read it properly - will have to try again at some stage.

Yes thanks I did know Annie committed suicide as she married my relative John Robert Clark and so found out
    through looking for information on him - or rather I have a letter from him written in 1912 from Bendigo in which
    he refers to the death of his wife leaving him with two children. - that's what started me off down this road!
    He remarried and she drowned (see Trove!) at
    Lorne rescuing one of his children from the first marriage. He remarried again and she outlived him!

I think I am stuck as am still waiting to hear from Bendigo with details of William Powell's death etc and also about Annie
    as an orphan how she ended up with William Powell. There was an article on Trove from Mrs Powell advertising for
    a servant which I thought solved the mystery until I checked the date! - from memory prior to Annie's time.

I don't know anything about Bendigo Archives which you mentioned as when I went to Bendigo in January the Library
    was closed as it was moving and so I am still somewhat in a muddle not knowing whether there are Archives there!
    with thanks Jill

Bendigo Regional Archive Centre, there's a contact address, Jill.

https://www.brac.vic.gov.au/Search

Hi Jill
    In answer to your pm asking about a couple of thing re using this site

This is how to find the private messages you send to other people.
    "When you click on
    "Notifications" in the top blue bar and choose either
    "Unread messages or Private messages"
    it will take you to your "In box."
    On the left of the message there is a box with the heading "My Messages."
    Underneath this is "Inbox" and "Sent Items."
    "Sent Items" is where you will see the private messages you have sent to other people

To contact any member of this site by pm you do it exactly as you have been doing it to contact me. Click on their user name and then click on Private message form the drop down menu.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Re Annie and either being adopted or taken in by William Powel,

More than likely she was "taken in" / fostered by William Powell. Adoption as such wasnt introduced in Australia until the 1920's.

Have orphanage records been checked on the off chance she may have been placed in one until she went to live with the Powell's. Also following her siblings might lead to someone knowing more. What happened to them or where did they go to live when their father died?

A fountain of knowledge

The Adoption of Children Act 1928 became law in July 1929 and the first legal adoption in Victoria was registered in October of that year. Before that time unofficial, de facto adoptions, which were not recognised in law, were sometimes arranged by both Government and non-government organisations, as well as by individuals. The 1928 Act for the first time provided for the transfer of parental rights, duties, obligations and liabilities to adoptive parents and offered secrecy, safety and stability to the child and the adoptive parents.

People seeking information about adoptions should therefore bear the year 1929 in mind. Because of the unofficial nature of adoption before that time, there are generally no records that can be called “adoption records”. Researchers may, however, locate information or clues in other records, such as records of state wardship, fostering, boarding-out, court records, and maintenance records and in printed material such as the Police Gazettes. Information may also be available from non-government organisations which are or have been involved in child welfare and adoption.

https://prov.vic.gov.au/provguide-60

A fountain of knowledge

Hi,

Are you able to tell us where you got the information from that the Ann born to James Davies and Susan Bosley is the same Annie as "daughter" to William and Hannah Powell?

Bendigo Advertiser
    Saturday 20 May 1899

MARRIAGES
    CLARK-POWELL.- On the 19th May, at St. Paul's Church, Bendigo, by the Ven. Arch deacon MacCullagh, John Robert Clark, mining surveyor, son of the late Robert Clark, of Bendigo, to Annie, daughter of W. Powell, Esq., Woodhouse Grove, Quarry Hill, Bendigo.

Im just trying to verify the Ann and Annie are the same girl. She married under the Powell name and states William as her father so how did you connect the Ann born to James and Susan to this one?

A fountain of knowledge

In case you havent seen it, there is a online will in the VIC archives site for James Davies. Mentions his kids names but nothing in it to say who they are to be with. Also mentions his brother John.

https://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/pu...1-DocumentData

Not sure if the above link will work so if not try to the below link...

https://prov.vic.gov.au/wills-and-probate

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast