Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    researchersuz

Default Finding Records for William Williams

Hi, i am trying to confirm records that have been given to me by my Great Grandfather's Family:

WILLIAMS, William
    Born: Ipswich, Suffolk, England
    Parents: Edward Williams and Jane Bett
    In 1854 William WILLIAMS emigrated to Australia with 12th (East Suffolk) Regiment on the ship "WINSOR" and apparently jumped ship somewhere, i presume in Australia.
    I have tried Ancestry, other forums, message boards, Find My Past UK, enquired with a genealogist - no luck, someone even suggested that he probably changed his name after he jumped ship. I would be very grateful if someone had any ideas on where i could look next, have also searched extensively through the National Australian Libary. Williams relatives Family Trees online, have different information for him, who knows which one is correct.

Welcome to Brit-Gen researchersuz

I have moved your post to the Suffolk forum because the Introduce yourself forum is for doing just that and I am sure you are going to get some help with this one.

Do you have records for William Williams in Australia such as marriage and death that will give some indication of when he was born.

You say you have conflicting records. It may be a good idea to give us these so our sleuths know just what you do have and can pick over it for clues.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I have taken a look at the trees on line and they all have William as born 1838 Ipswich Suffolk. The only one on FreeBMD is this one
    Births Dec 1/4 1838
    William Alexander Williams
    Registration Ipswich vol 12 page 293

Does William's marriage certificate (bride Mary Ann Glover) give his parent's names? His NSW death reg doesn't so where did these names come from?
    Is there an age given for William on his shipping record? Just asking questions as I think of them,

Christina
    William Burroughs

researchersuz

Default William Williams

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I have taken a look at the trees on line and they all have William as born 1838 Ipswich Suffolk. The only one on FreeBMD is this one
    Births Dec 1/4 1838
    William Alexander Williams
    Registration Ipswich vol 12 page 293

Does William's marriage certificate (bride Mary Ann Glover) give his parent's names? His NSW death reg doesn't so where did these names come from?
    Is there an age given for William on his shipping record? Just asking questions as I think of them,

Christina
    Hi Christina, all of the information i have is from William's Relatives in Australia, they say his parents were: Edward Williams and Jane Bett....he was born 12 February, 1838.....ipswich, suffolk, england.....thanks
    Suzanne

gasser

Now I'm not sure if this is at all relevant... but I did find a William Williams listed in this pdf document https://freepages.military.rootsweb.a...rs_Details.pdf
    which relates to 12th regiment East Suffolk details of men who served (?) in the 1st battalion in Australia and New Zealand 1854-1867 ???? It really doesn't explain much but gives a service number 3470. You will find the entry of this name on page 40.
    Could be important or 'red herring' ...don't know.

researchersuz

Hi Gasser....thanks very much for your information, at least i have a service number now, i can check that out. William's family told me he jumped ship somewhere, but they don't say exactly where.......Regards, Suzanne

researchersuz

Hi Christina....this is the information i have at present......WILLIAM WILLIAMS, born 12 February, 1838 Ipswich, Suffolk, England
    His Parents: Edward Williams and Jane Bett.

Gasser, from this Forum sent me some info, saying that William Williams, Service No. 3470, ship "Lancaster Witch", 1867 in New Zealand...so i am going to check that out. 12th (east suffolk) regiment.

All of my information has come from family members of William William's Family.
    William Williams married Mary Ann Glover 1874 NSW Australia.
    Some family member TREES have William being born in Cornwall.
    I saw a record online of Edward WILLIAMS but i am not sure it is correct - it said that Edward Williams died in 1849 and Jane Williams married a James Juggins in 1850, and Jane died in 1877, but because it didn't say Jane BETT anywhere, i couldn't be sure.
    Regards, Suzanne

Hi Suzanne
    I have been taking a look at some trees on family search.org and they all have the parents as Edward Williams and Jane Betts but no-one gives a source. Even if they got these names from William and Mary Ann's marriage certificate they could be names made up by William because he didn't know his parents.

Following this thought I did find a 13 year old William Williams as a pupil boarder at Mill House Academy Theydon Garnon, Essex
    Place of birth - unknown. HO107 Piece 1770 Folio 212 Page 62

Do you have copies of the marriage and birth certificates or the details of where the tree owners got their information from?

This is a marriage record on FreeBMD with
    Marriages Dec 1/41850
    James Juggins
    Jane Williams
    Cheltenham
    page 11 vol 318

Cheltenham is in Gloucestershire. The only way to check out if this is the widowed Jane Williams mother of William Williams would be to order the marriage certificate and hope it says bride's name Williams formerly Betts.

Christina
    William Burroughs

The Juggins family in 1851
    HO107 Piece 1969 Folio 282 Page 14
    Withington Gloucestershire
    James Juggins 23 ag lab
    Jane Juggins 35 Charlton Wiltshire
    Charlott Williams 12 dau in law (another way of saying step dau.
    Mark Williams 10
    Mary Williams 8
    Edwd Williams 6
    Olliffe Williams 4
    Emma Williams 2

All children born Withington Gloucestershire.
    I am still trying to locate Jane and Charlotte in 1841 to try confirm/disprove this family as connected to your William Williams.
    William Burroughs

gasser

The facts as you have given us........
    William's birth...the only birth listed in Suffolk for a William Williams in 1838 is this one which conflicts with the birth date 12th February 1838 you have provided
    Births reg Dec 1838 WILLIAMS William Alexander reg. Ipswich vol 12 pg.293,
    now if this is the right William his birth would (should) have been registered within 6 weeks.
    Going with the East Suffolk regiment in 1854 to Australia (the ship may have been called 'Windsor' and not 'Winsor') he would have been aged around 16 years old.
    His marriage to Mary Ann Glover in 1874...... have you obtained a marriage certificate? This could provide details of his father's name and his hopefully his age.
    I'm still working/thinking on this... but have to disappear now...back later.

ps I see Christina has been busy whilst I have been typing ....more to think over!!
    Gail
    Last edited by gasser; 04-03-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added ps

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast