Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    gasser

Further to my last post....there is a birth registered mar qtr at Kensington for William Williams [Kensington was part of Middlesex 1837-
    1889] WW 's birthdate is stated as 12th February 1838 so his birth would need to have been registered by 26th March (looked at 1838 calendar]
    1841 census W.W. aged 3 - born in county(Middlesex), 1851 census W.W. aged 13 born Pancras (part of Middlesex as was Kensington).............again thinking out loud with possibles !!! Feel free to tell me to be quiet if you want
    will check in later
    Gail

gasser

1841 census W.W. aged 3 - born in county(Middlesex), 1851 census W.W. aged 13 born Pancras with mother Jane W and sister Jane ...........I think we can forget this family...found the three of them in 1861.

gasser

Okay...I'm looking at William's time in Australia now.
    If William had 'jumped ship' as has been stated already, consider this article......
    The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.) Tuesday 13 November 1855 (1854 was mentioned in your earlier posts and 1855 in a later post)
    DESERTIONS.- During the past four days there have been six desertions from the two regiments stationed in this city, - four new arrivals by the Windsor troop-ship from the 40th, and two from the 12th .see https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/re...opship+windsor for the original article.

There is a book available ... Deserters: "A Complete Record of Military and Naval Deserters in Australia and New Zealand 1800-65" (Magill: Australasian Maritime Historical Society, 1985), pp 56 & 70; try libraries for a copy
    Gail

researchersuz

Hi Christina
    Did you see this Ancestry Tree - gripper/delaney/rylands/garside/gearside

??? i thought it had some records that seem relevant, but not sure.
    I wonder if Jane Williams JUGGINS was originally Jane Betts.

i saw a record that said jane juggins was born in 1816, germoe, cornwall
    Maybe William Williams was born in CORNWALL?

Thanks, Suzanne

Hello Suzanne and Gail
    sorry I haven't been contributing any ideas, the brain is a bit addled these last few days and not to be trusted.

gasser
    .............again thinking out loud with possibles !!! Feel free to tell me to be quiet if you want
    No way, you have found some interesting stuff. I like the Bell/Bett theory, only have to miss the strokes for the t.

I will have to sit and collate this stuff - again! - to reacquaint myself with it. And please let all the dropper inners at home stay away.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

researchersuz

Hi Christina...i hav some more info for you re: William Williams....i tried to send it to you, but it says it won't work unless i convert it... i could send the paper pages to you if you wish.....The death certificate has no parents on it, the marriage certificate has no parents on it..but...Barry sent me a photocopy of St John's Church of England Parish records which has....Rank and Profession of william, Labourer...mary ann, spinster....Mother & Fathers Name of William...Edward Williams, Labourer and Jane Bett....ALSO on death certificate it says, williams was aged 37 years on his wedding day....born: Ipswich, Suffolk, England....Time in Australian Colonies: about 14 years in Victoria and 68 years in NSW....Parents: unknown, Cause of Death: Myocarditis, Senility.....Note: in margin referring to age at death reads (col 4 100 years, see queries)......Hope this is a help to you. Thank you so much for your assistance....Regards, Suzanne

Hi Suzanne
    haven't forgotten you, just had a couple of very busy days.
    So as it stands
    1. There is no birth registration Sept 1/4 1837 to Dec 1/4 1838 for Ipswich Suffolk on FreeBMD that matches William's given birth date. This early in the introduction of official registration some could be missed.
    2. the original marriage certificate for William Williams and Mary Ann Glover does not name any parents for William.
    3. Why would there be parents names on the parish record and not on the certificate?
    4. The death certificate for William doesn't name any parents.
    5. Death certificate does give age and place of birth but this is only as reliable as the informant's information and if William told them this was he telling the truth?
    6. The figures add up depending of course that William told the truth about his age. So arrived c 1856. Now gasser did find a record of deserters from the Windsor for this period. How ever there is no proof as yet that William was a deserter.

Oh, just rereading your posts Suzanne and saw this
    i also found a Research Report, Barry had sent me: Vivienne Aldous, Freelance Archivist, Genealogist and Archive Researcher
    her 16 page report came up - WITH NOTHING
    Barry had asked her to: try & confirm the birth,parentage and antecedents of William Williams, thought to have been born in Ipswich, suffolk on 12 february 1838 or c. 1843 and who went to australia in 1855.
    Where did a possible birth date of 1843 come from? My eyes are beginning to roll again.

I wonder if the Wagga Wagga family history society can shed any light on all of this? They may have access to records or information that are not on line.

Christina
    William Burroughs

researchersuz

Hi Christina
    thanks for your reply...well isn't this story turning into a real saga...lol....i emailed carol in New Zealand, another relative, to ask her if william had any siblings and this was her reply......"she didn't know, but she gave me another William Williams story....(carol is the granddaughter of George, a son of William Williams) ...The family story is he ran away from home and joined the Army when he was underage & never had contact with his family ever again. Also, apparently William told his family that he once hid Ned Kelly (famous australian bushranger) in his hut when William was living in victoria and something about him hiding in a hollow log".....well this story could be TRUE because William Williams was living in Victoria the year of Ned Kelly's first arrest in 1869, then in 1870 William left Victoria for Wagga, NSW. Ned Kelly was born in 1855. I only live three hours drive from Wagga, so i think i will try and go to the Church & find any information i can from them for myself. Regards, Suzanne....

researchersuz

Hi Christina

Could you please explain how do i post on Other walls....thanks suzanne

Hi Suzanne

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'posting on Other wall.' Do you mean Brickwalls or another forum?

Either way, when you log in to Brit-Gen, click on Forum in the blue bar at the top of the page - just to the right of the tree trunk.

That will bring up all the forums starting with 'Welcome to Brit-Gen" Just scroll down the page until you see the subject forum title you need on the left. There's Family History, Topics, Occupations etc. Under each of these headings are sub topics such as Emigration and Institutions under Topics.

Brickwalls is the second sub heading under Family History.

Is this what you mean? If not get back to me. Meanwhile I will take another look at your last post on here. I missed it, or more likely I forgot to come back to it.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast