Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    maggym

Default JOSEPH WALTERS & HARRIET WICKHAM

I am trying to research Joseph WALTERS & Harriet WICKHAM who appear to be living in Bristol SOM in the 1841 census. Joseph WALTERS was baptised in Rodsborough GLOS on 16 Aug 1801. Not sure where Harriet was born but they were married in St Mary de Lode's Gloucester on 26 Jun 1825. Three of their children were born in Stroud - Harriet born 10 Jul 1831, Thomas & Eliza born 25 May 1833. Any info on this family would be appreciated!

1841 HO107 Piece 375 Book 5 Folio 36 Page 26
    Bristol City, Parish of Temple Gloucestershire

Joseph Walters 30 washman? Born in County? NO
    Harriet Walters 30 Yes
    Thomas Walters 7 Yes
    Joseph Walters 5 Yes
    Harriet Walters 10 Yes
    Eliza Walters 7 Yes
    Marria Walters 4 Yes

This 1841 census record says that Joseph was not born in county of Gloucestershire.

Joseph is aged 30 here and as his age has probably been rounded down to the nearest 5 as was supposed to happen in the 1841 census, his earliest birth year could only be 1807 not 1801. Are you positive about that baptism 1801 being your Joseph?

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I wonder if this is the bpt of an earlier dau who died and then the two later children were given the names Harriet and Maria

Harriott Maria Walter
    Christened 25 Jan 1829
    Rodborough, Gloucester, England
    Father - Joseph Walter
    Mother - Harriott
    William Burroughs

maggym

No, I'm not sure the couple shown in the 1841 census is the right one! I'm using info given to me by a friend whom I'm trying to help to break down a brickwall in her research. We think Joseph married Harriet WICKHAM in St Mary de Lode's Gloucester on 26 Jun 1825. Another researcher shows Joseph as Joseph Thomas WALTERS. There was a Joseph WALTERS, son of Thomas WALTERS and Martha MAYO, baptised in Rodsborough GLOS on 16 Aug 1801. We think he is the one we're looking for but nothing is certain. Also we haven't been able to find any record of Harriet WICKHAM's baptism.
    Thanks for such a quick response to my query.

Hello maggym

It would probably be safer if you told us how you got back to needing a Joseph Walter born early 1800's.

Your friend worked backwards from herself to her parents, then to her grandparents, then her great grandparents and so on? Can you name them, (not living people) give us dates and places of births, marriages etc so we can follow them back through the censuses?

Knowing these things will help us sort out the possibilities and the definitely nots.

Christanel
    William Burroughs

janbooth

From Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index 1800-37:

26 June 1825 at St Mary de Lode Gloucester by banns Joseph WALTERS of Tuffley & Harriet WICKHAM of Tuffley. According to a Google search, Tuffley is a suburb of Greater Gloucester.

Gloucestershire FHS Baptismal Index 1813-37 shows the following baptisms:

25 January 1829 at Rodborough Harriott Maria daughter of Joseph & Harriott WALTER, Servant, Stroud
    Born 10 July 1831, bap 9 Oct 1836 at Stroud Eliza daughter of Joseph & Harriett WALTERS, Innkeeper, High Street
    Born 25 May 1833, bap 9 October 1836 at Stroud Thomas son of Joseph & Harriett WALTERS, Innkeeper, High Street
    9 October 1836 at Stroud Maria daughter of Joseph & Harriett WALTERS, Innkeeper, High Street
    20 October 1837 at Stroud Joseph son of Joseph & Harriett WALTERS, Innkeeper & Horse Dealer, High Street

Two burials at Rodborough (from Gloucestershire Burial Index) which may prove relevant to you:

9 October 1830 Thomas WALTERS, aged 69
    29 December 1843 Martha WALTERS, aged 82

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 13-10-2013 at 9:43 AM. Reason: Extra text

janbooth

I think Joseph's occupation in the 1841 census of Bristol is Coachman which would fit in very well with the 1837 baptismal record - Horse Dealer not too far away from Coachman.

Do you have this family in any subsequent census records as at the moment I am not having too much luck in finding them in the 1851 onwards.

It would be very helpful if you could provide the information your friend already has, working backwards from what she definitely knows, as Christanel has suggested in the post above.

Janet

maggym

Hi Christanel and Janet
    Thanks for all the information you have taken the trouble to send me.

One of the problems I have encountered is that my friend's grandmother came to Melbourne and married here on 20 Oct 1856 so the chances of getting information from the later census(es) in the UK is unlikely. I couldn't find the suspected parents (the Joseph and Harriet in the 1841 census) in the 1851 census.

The notes I've been given to work from are confusing to say the least. I will need to spend more time in trying to sort out what is known fact and what has been surmised from contact with other researchers without any documentary proof.

Victorian registration certificates give a lot of family information and if she hasn't already purchased a copy for her grandparents' marriage and deaths I will recommend she does so.

Once I have a clearer picture of what is reliable I'll post another message. In the meantime, thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by maggym View Post
    Victorian registration certificates give a lot of family information and if she hasn't already purchased a copy for her grandparents' marriage and deaths I will recommend she does so. .
    I do hope your friend is able to buy the cert maggym. We will wait to hear from you.

Christina
    William Burroughs

maggym

When Maria WALTERS was married in Collingwood, Melbourne on 20 Oct 1856, her age was shown as 19 so she would have been born c1837. Her birthplace was Stroud, Gloucestershire. Her parents names are shown as Joseph WALTERS, Innkeeper, and Harriet WALTERS m.n. (maiden name?) WICKHAM. This would appear to tie her in nicely with the family from Tuffley but there is no definite link with the couple in the 1841 census. I would appreciate any input you can make in sorting her out. Maria married James GRIFFITHS, also 19, who was born in Pontypool, Monmouthshire so I'll go onto the appropriate forum to see if I can find any more about him.
    Thanks for any help you can offer
    Margaret

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast