Looking to trace the Lifton family.

Issac Lifton
    Born 1/1818
    Place W-O-T, Bristol
    Married 25/2/1848
    Place Bedminster, Bristol
    Died 3/1885
    Place Bristol

Richard Lifton - (His death record said he died aged 71 which would of made him born 1787)
    Born 1788
    Place Milford, Pembrokshire (on a census for 1851 on Ancestry says born Milford, Panama. It could be Milford Pembrokeshire)
    Married 24/2/1816
    Place St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol
    Died 9/1858
    Place Clifton, Bristol

Richard Lifton was born to a William Lifton and a Mary Smith.
    Only marriage record I can find is to a William Liston and Mary Smith in Bristol 1748.
    It appears Richard had a brother named William b. 1798 and sister Mary 1785. There is a William and Ann Smith who alsohad children it is not known if this is the same family.
    I was informed we were Nantucket Whalers who came over to Pembroke. But not found any information to support this. There was mention in the family of Listons and also the Navy. The Liston Quakers in Delaware have strong Navy links. So kinda stuck at the momemt. Any help would be useful!

Welcome to Brit-Gen wingtsun25

I have moved your posts from Surname Interests, (which is just for posting the surnames you are researching and is then locked)
    to the Gloucestershire forum as Bristol seems to be the main place of interest. It will also get more attention from our super sleuths .

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

wingtsun25

Thank you!

Allan F Sparrow

One point: the 1851 census which has been referred to, on Richard Lifton, is transcribed differently at FMP - they have Milford, Hampshire; but if one looks at the image instead of the transcript, it seems to read "Milford, Pem." to my old eyes, so it may indeed be a Pembrokeshire man. He was a bootmaker, with a wife Francis and a son Richard.
    Last edited by Allan F Sparrow; 25-02-2014 at 8:49 AM. Reason: Dyslexic fingers!

Allan F Sparrow

Isaac was in Bristol in 1841, as a shoemaker said to be 20. Have you seen that? FMP have him in a household with a Morgan family in the transcript, but if you look at the image, he's on a new page with the address given as if new; there's a young man there too, possibly a lodger, though of course the 1841 doesn't give all the information that later censuses do.

Allan F Sparrow

I have found the following burials for men named William Lifton:

b1723 buried Hubberston Pembrokeshire 1796
    b1795 buried etc 1797
    b1768 buried etc 1806
    b1793 buried etc 1826
    b1758 buried etc 1847

Since Hubberston is where Richard son of William and Mary was baptised in 1788, the above would seem to be all related to your family.

I am now going away to look at other matters for a while!
    Last edited by Allan F Sparrow; 25-02-2014 at 9:17 AM. Reason: Seeking clarity