Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jennyadams

Default Bradbrook/Potter

Not as yet very experienced at o/seas searches but will learn more as time goes on.

I have a Richard Alexander BRADBROOK Born 30.08.1882 in South Australia.
    Married Elizabeth Jane POTTER at Parish Church Stepney London 05.03.1905. Elizabeth was 20 years, her father William. Richard was 22 years and listed his occupation as Mariner.

I have newspaper articles showing Richard aboard several ships that came to Australia over the next few years.

I can find no record of Elizabeth coming to Australia and would like to know if they had any children or where she might have gotten to. Maybe she lived with her parents whom I believe may be William Henry Potter and Barbara Hannah Potter of Wapping, Tower Hamlets.

Any ideas about Elizabeth and her family greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jenny.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Freebmd.org.uk has her birth registration.
    Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
    Births Jun 1/4 1884
    Potter Elizabeth Jane St. Geo. East 1c 416
    Quick check didn't find her in 1911,where were her parents born and when?

jennyadams

Don't know that I have correct parents as yet just have a baptism for an Elizabeth Jane with parents as William Henry and Barbara Hannah Potter. Parish Wapping, Borough Tower Hamlets. Sounds good because William Potter is listed as a stevedore.
    Haven't used freebdm so thank you for that, I will go have a look.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

From baptism she was born 20 Mar 1884 which matches with June Quarter registration,freebmd will have parents marriage,then use census returns.

jennyadams

That's interesting as on familysearch.org I found one as 04.05.1844 with those names I mentioned as parents.

jennyadams

Thank you again. Amazing how far a bit of concentration takes one. Found out lots of information.
    Jen

The address on Richard and Elizabeth Jane's marriage certificate is : 24, Heath Road.

1901 census, 24, Heath Road, RG13 piece 328 folio 141 page 4

Potter family, all born London
    William 48, Riverside Labourer
    Jane 45,
    Elizabeth 17
    Henry 14
    Frederick 7

I think this is Elizabeth in 1891. RG12; Piece: 332; Folio: 10; Page: 10. I sugest you evaluate the image information yourself as not all info is easy to read, hence the index probably has mistakes.

William A Potter 34
    Dann H Potter 35
    William J Potter 10
    Elizabeth J Potter 6
    Hary J Potter 5
    Arthur E Potter 5
    Elizabeth J Auston 34
    Mary M Hobby 34
    Elizabeth A Hobby 36

William Potter married Barbara Hannah Austin at Camberwell Emmanuel, 17 May 1877

I did wonder if Jane [1901] was William's 2nd wife; now think it possible Jane and Barbara Hannah are the same person. Maybe she didn't like her given name???

1881, 61 Pruson St?, St George in the East. RG11; Piece: 458; Folio: 35; Page: 1

William Potter 26, Stevedore's Labourer, Surrey
    Jane Potter 27, Surrey
    William J. Potter 1, Wapping Middlesex

1911, 43 Grosvenor St, Stepney E, RG14; Piece: 1595.

Barbara Potter 55, widow, Assistant Cook, Kennington Surrey.

These details shouldn't have been entered as Barbara was a widow, however she obviously didn't understand, and [conveniently for you] filled them in anyway, they have been crossed through and are still legible: married for 34yrs which fits with the 1877 marriage, children born alive - 9, children still alive - 3, 6 children have died.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast