Wilkes_ml

Default WERRETT/WHERRETT/WHERRITT in London/Middlesex

and other variations such as WHARRIT(T) are driving me mad!

I am trying to find the family of Susanna(h) WERRET (spinster) who married Robert CAMBRIDGE (batchelor) in 1787 at St. Vedast als Foster Lane. Winesses do not appear to be related..one being the church clerk

they then went on to have several children:
    Elizabeth Mary Ann CAMBRIDGE bap. 1788 at St. Stephen Coleman Street
    Neathon Taylor CAMBRIDGE bap. 1792 at St. Botolph Aldgate
    John CAMBRIDGE bap. 1794 at St. Botolph Aldgate
    Robert CAMBRIDGE bap. 1795 at St. Botolph Aldgate possibly buried 1805 at St. Dunstan in the West
    Samuel John CAMBRIDGE bap. 1797 at St. Giles Cripplegate
    Margarett CAMBRIDGE bap. 1799 at St. Dunstan in the West
    John Patrick CAMBRIDGE b. 1803 bap. 1805 at St. Dunstan in the West
    Thomas CAMBRIDGE b. 1806 bap. 1809 at St. Andrew Holborn
    and possibly Charlotte CAMBRIDGE bur. 1794 St. Botolph Aldersgate (yet to find baptism)

There are WHERRET families in the area, though they do seem to move about from church to church. I am trying to build up the families to see if any could be related to Susanna nee WERRET.

so far:

Samuel WHERRITT an Oylman of Christchurch, London (bachelor) clandestine marriage to Penelope BARKLEY of Christchurch London (spinster) at Fleet Prison 19th December 1733.

Samuel WHARITT land tax record 1734 Aldersgate Within ......possibly same person

Children:
    William WHIRRIT b. 31st December 1735 bap. 6 Jan 1736 Christ Church Greyfriars also known as Christ Church Newgate Street (register appears to be damaged/illegible)
    Robert WHERRET b. 26th March 1739 bap. 10th April 1739 St. James Clerkenwell m. Ann NICHOLLS (widow) 22nd May 1763 at St. Botolph Bishopsgate
    Grace WHERRIT b. 23rd September 1740 bap. 12th October 1740 St. James Clerkenwell married Francis NORRIS 21st June 1759 at St. James Clerkenwell by licence. (Daughter Charlotte Norris born 3rd December 1760 bap. 28th December 1760 at St. James Clerkenwell)
    Thomas WHARRITT b. 1st January 1742 bap. 23rd January 1742 St. James Clerkenwell
    William WHERRITT born 9th January 1744 bap. 15th January 1744 St. James Clerkenwell
    Missing baptisms?
    George Berkley WHERRITT born 30th July bapt. 5th August 1752 St. James Clerkenwell

Samuel probably died 1772 aged 73 (b. 1699) buried at St. James Clerkenwell

and Samuel WHERRIT (possible son of Samuel & Penelope) & Catherine ? (cannot find baptism or marriage)

Children:
    Theodosia Curtis WHERRIT c. 19 December 1773 at St. Sepulchre (in between St. Andrew Holborn & St. Vedast als Foster Lane) died Dec Q 1850 St. Leonard 2 304
    Catherine WERRIT c. 24 March 1776 at St. Sepulchre married John GOTCH probably 1799 (marriage licence allegation, but can not find marriage on Ancestry)

Catherine GOTCH & her children were named in Theodosia's will dated 1845. The fact that Susannah CAMBRIDGE & the Cambridge children were not mentioned in Theodosia's will suggests Susannah was not closely related (if at all).

I will continue to search and try to tie up the families, and hopefully someone may see this and be able to shed some light on where Susannah WERRETT originated from, and also where she ended up, as I can not find her burial either!

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post

Children:
    William WHIRRIT b. 31st December 1735 bap. 6 Jan 1736 Christ Church Greyfriars also known as Christ Church Newgate Street (register appears to be damaged/illegible) date from Familysearch
    Samuel WHERRIT (indexed as WHERRIE) born 7th January and baptised 16th January 1736/7 at St. Leonard Shoreditch of Holywell Street
    Robert WHERRET b. 26th March 1739 bap. 10th April 1739 St. James Clerkenwell m. Ann NICHOLLS (widow) 22nd May 1763 at St. Botolph Bishopsgate
    Grace WHERRIT b. 23rd September 1740 bap. 12th October 1740 St. James Clerkenwell married Francis NORRIS 21st June 1759 at St. James Clerkenwell by licence. (Daughter Charlotte Norris born 3rd December 1760 bap. 28th December 1760 at St. James Clerkenwell)
    Thomas WHARRITT b. 1st January 1742/3 bap. 23rd January 1742/3 St. James Clerkenwell
    William WHERRITT born 9th January 1743/4 bap. 15th January 1743/4 St. James Clerkenwell
    Manually searched St. James Clerkenwell from 1744 to 1752..generally well kept register ...no other children baptised
    George Berkley WHERRITT born 30th July bapt. 5th August 1752 St. James Clerkenwell
    Corrections to dates & additions in bold

So I have found the baptism for Samuel who married Catherine, but I have also found a burial of a Penelope WERRIT (indexed under Penelop WENNET) 1787 at St. James Clerkenwell, but her age of 36 puts her birth at 1750-1751, so likely to be a daughter of Samuel & Penelope.

Could these be related?

Susanna Werrett, baptised, 24 May 1789, St Marylebone dau of William and Mary

Susanna Wherritt, Baptised, 17 Jun 1777, St Leonard, Shoreditch dau of Robert and Ann Wherritt

Wilkes_ml

Thanks, yes I have seen these entries and I'm still trying to build up the families of William & Robert, who I suspect to be the first two sons of Samuel & Penelope. I suspect these Susannashs are cousins/nieces to my Susannah, as I believe their dates of birth are too late to be the same as the one who married in 1787.

Robert was a watchcase maker and married Ann NICHOLS ( a widow) at St. Botolph Bishopgate 17th May 1763

so far I can see only 2 children of Robert & Ann:

Ann born 16th June 1764, baptised at St. Giles Cripplegate, and Susannah born 6th June 7777 and baptised at St. Leonard Shoreditch . There is such a big gap between the girls, that I am sure there must have been more children, so I am trying to fill in the gaps.

janbooth

Could this perhaps be relevant, especially given the Christian name of the mother:

Born 19th June, baptised 26 June 1753 at St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey William WHERRY son of Robert & Susannah, Labourer, Barking Parish Essex

Although I cannot find any other baptisms on Ancestry to this couple.

Janet

Wilkes_ml

Thanks Janet...there do seem to be actual WHERRY families in London, and it does seem to be a seperate name, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a variation of W(H)ERRET.

I think looking in London is so frustrating as there are so many churches, the families flitted around and it is not easy to find out which churches are not on Ancestry, which would explain the gaps in baptisms, missing baptisms, burials & marriages (assuming that every name variation has been tried!) Indexes are not always error proof, so I try to manually search the registers but it is a daunting task.

I think I need to check if any BTs exist for Greyfriars,and also look to see if any other churches that are missing from ancestry can be found elsewhere. Though I would have expected all of the London church baptisms to have been on family search.