Thread: James LAVENDER

gaelwyn

Default James LAVENDER

Hi,
    My Gx2 GM, Sarah Sutton, married James Lavender in 1878 in Richmond, NSW in the District registry office.
    The marriage cert. states he was 23 yrs old, a farmer and illegitimate. No other information given about parentage!!

His death was in 1929 on 'Tennyson', his son's farm in North Richmond, the year before Sarah passed away
    5418/1929 LAVENDER JAMES 76YRS (TENNYSON) RICHMOND

That gives birth to be in 1853, not 1855, as marriage cert. says.
    He had 2 brothers .... Henry b. 1847 -d. 1940 ...parents George & Sarah
    and George b. 1855 - d. 1949 ..... can't find a birth registered for George.
    Neither can I find a marriage for George and Sarah, though there are more births registered for them

Can someone help??

Gail

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Hello Gail,
    This might help.

A family tree on ancestry shows the Henry you mention (1847-1940) as the son of George LAVENDER and Sarah REED. They married in Westfield , Sussex, England 9 Sep 1832 and arrived in Australia 26 Jun 1838. At some stage before 1859 they have separated. Since your James (who does not appear in this tree, nor G Lavender) is illigitimate then perhaps they had already separated by then. According to this tree, Sarah nee Reed died 1902, and George Lavender 1885.

NSW death index
    13328/1902
    LAVENDER SARAH
    Parents: HENRY, SARAH
    CAMPBELLTOWN

The Campbelltown Herald (NSW : 1880 - 1919) Wednesday 8 October 1902 p 2
    LAVENDER.
    MRS. SARAH LAVENDER, a resident of Campbelltown for the past twenty years, died at the home of her daughter (Mrs. R. C. Adams) Milgate Lane, at 6.30 p.m. on Thursday last. Mrs. Lavender had been ill only a few days, and her death was brought about through a recent fall, the shock which she experienced having fatal results. The deceased lady had attained the ripe old age of 89 years. She was born at Brede, Sussex (Eng.), came to this State in 1838, and for 64 years resided in the Penrith district. Mrs. Lavender's husband predeceased her, but there is a family of ten living. The funeral took place on Saturday at noon the body being interred in the C. of E. Cemetery.

Christine

gaelwyn

Thank you for the information you posted
    I only discovered that the tree I'd been given (by cousin who is direct ancestor) was incorrect, yesterday, so I've had to start from scratch

I'm not with ancestry, so I appreciate it

I have a theory .... there were 3 children born before arriving in Oz.
    Emily was 17 yrs old when James was born, and 19 yrs when George (found his death in 1949) was born
    I haven't discovered a marriage for her .... a possible reason???

Cheers
    Gail

So then, it explains why your James and George were not in that particular ancestry tree. And that Henry is not yours either. I'm glad you found out it was wrong.

Who is Emily? If you mean Emily/Emeline b 1835, the eldest daughter of George Lavender and Sarah Reed, then she married in 1853 NSW to another Lavender.(Robert) Your James and his known brothers do not appear in her family.

Do none of the registrations (marriage, children's births, death) give a birthplace for James?
    ChristineR

gaelwyn

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    So then, it explains why your James and George were not in that particular ancestry tree. And that Henry is not yours either. I'm glad you found out it was wrong.

Who is Emily? If you mean Emily/Emeline b 1835, the eldest daughter of George Lavender and Sarah Reed, then she married in 1853 NSW to another Lavender.(Robert) Your James and his known brothers do not appear in her family.

Do none of the registrations (marriage, children's births, death) give a birthplace for James?
    Hi Christine,

I only discovered James had 2 brothers, on the day I posted this thread .... 8th Feb
    A Lavender descendant (our Gx2 GPs married) gave me the tree, which had James dying in 1938. Totally wrong family was in his tree. A cousin had given him this info and he didn't verify.
    When I started checking, I discovered this mistake
    So you think Emily is Emeline, who married Robert Lavender!!!
    That's my theory down the gurgler, lol.
    I'll check with him (cousin) about getting certificates

This is Emily's death reg, and she has almost all her children with Robert Lavender registered in the Camden area. Having the same surname makes it impossible to tell she had married. You need to establish James' birthplace. You are probably on the right track - he and his brothers were not born in New South Wales.

NSW death index
    EMILY LAVENDER
    Parents: GEORGE, SARAH
    Reg district: CAMDEN
    14977-1912
    ChristineR

Nannas

HIyas,
    I am pretty sure that James brother Henry's was born in NSW 1847 and died 1940.
    There is a newspaper mention on TROVE of Henry's son and James son having "issues" and states they are cousins.

Considering the dates for James birth are pre civil registration maybe he wasn't baptised (or baptised years later)
    He might be the illegitimate child of one of George and Sarah's children and raised by them as a sibling to their other children.

Also be aware that NSW BDM has large gaps with a lot of BDM info missing for various reasons (eg: not handed over by the churches, uploaded incorrectly, too damaged to read/upload, just missed/skipped etc)

Kellie