Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Hi Anne
    I took a quick look at the Criminal Records UK and also the Old Bailey Online trial records. The Jacob Levy tried in 1823 for receiving stolen goods was sentenced to 14 years transportation. Interestingly, the original record book for his sentence records an age of 17 giving an approx dob circa 1806 whereas the Old Bailey trial record transcription gives an age of 55.

I can't remember any other data on this Jacob Levy. My advice is to post a new thread on him or cite the earlier posts.
    I will look further.
    Best wishes
    Phillip

Hi Anne
    The NSW Convict Indent for Jacob Levy tried in 1823 shows he arrived in NSW 16 March 1824 on the Countess Harcourt but the record gives his age as 53 and three quarter years born Poland dealer in clothes- I can't read all of this record because of the writing. Is he your Jacob?
    Phillip

The NSW Ticket of Leave Record for Jacob Levy gives his dob as 1768 London - Labourer- District of Airds 30 June 1830. This record plus his Convict Indent confirm a dob of between 1768-1770 (there is a brief physical description of Jacob on the Ticket of Leave Record).
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

The number of times I read 'I hit a brick wall' so I think its important that we all understand that most of Europe Familys names did not exist untill the1815 and even later in some areas and a lot of our people did not welcome them. This compares to England where we always have had family names and Sephardim who left Spain and Portugal from 1391 onwards generally used a single name such as Toledano unlike Iberian naming conventions which are rather complex, A great example I have an Asher line 1770/1780 where did they come from could it have been Ben Asher nope the truth, three brothers came from Amsterdam to london and adopted the name whilst their family in Holland assumed different surnames later. I found on jewishgen a tree incredible and there in the lower corner were three brothers no descendants and yep you guessed mine. Even knowing this I could not go back much further than 1700 So we began with Schneider which became Asher and Asser.

nikkastar

Hi, Phillip! Thank you for your help. I still don't know if the convict, Jacob Levy is my Jacob or if he disappears from the records simply because he died before 1830. So, I am taking your advice and I posted a new thread for Jacob Levy. I will take all you have given me and look more closely at the information as well. Thanks again!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415