Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a bit of a long shot, but were any of Hugh's children called Patrick or Sarah? Or Finlay or Mary?

There's only 2 likely Hugh M's in Ayrshire on the 1901 census.

I've had a quick look at SP. There's no marriage between a Hugh M. and anyone called Dugeon/Dudgeon, so the children weren't using Mum's maiden name.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post

There's only 2 likely Hugh M's in Ayrshire on the 1901 census.
    That was my first thought too - but if we include variant spellings (McLaughlan, McLauchlan, McLachlan) there are another 5 from 1884 - 1901.

[/U]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I've had a quick look at SP. There's no marriage between a Hugh M. and anyone called Dugeon/Dudgeon, so the children weren't using Mum's maiden name.
    I wonder if Hugh's first wife took up with a Mr Dugeon who would have been effectively a stepfather to the children? Just another possibility.

lisagrace

well my marriage cert arrived for hugh mclaughlin and ellen bearder 1943 very dissapointed fathers name and profession lined out..............how frustrating but it does tell me that hugh was 29 thats somewhere around 1913-1915 on scotlands people there are
    2 for 1913 3 for 1914 and 5 for 1915

i found out that he died on 23rd feb 1979 just before he could take his pension
    scotlands people show 2 for 1979 one age 64 1 age 55 both in lanark

his first wife was jean
    scotlands people show 3 marriages
    jeanie allan 1931
    jeanie clocherty 1940
    jeanie watson 1950

marriage cert also shows army details though very difficult to read

gunner
    r.a
    ( wohn farry division) no idea what it say's really but checking on registra's other .handwriting

no idea what to do now.

lisa x

Sorry no father's name for him.

I think the next thing to do would be to send off for a birth cert for one of the children from the first marriage as Lesley suggested in post# 4. I'm afraid that will cost 12GBP however.

This suggests that his parents weren't married. An unmarried father only appeared on a birth cert if he went with the mother to record the birth. They do sometimes appear on marriage certs anyway, but not often.

Since he married Ellen in 1943, it can't be the Watson wedding in 1950 - that would make the Ellen marriage the legal one as it was first. You said that he and Jean met when they were both in the army. In 1931, he would only have been 18, and women weren't that common in the army, so it it was me, I'd start with the Clocherty marriage in 1940. Where did it take place? Of course, the 1931 mariage cert is available on line, and the 1940 isn't so I'd be tempted to check the '31 anyway, if I had the spare credits. You can order hard copies on SP, but they cost 12 pounds.
    I don't know where you are in England, but if you can conventiently reat ourself to a weekday in Edinburgh, you can see all of these records directly, having only paid the entrance fee for the Scotlands People Centre. 15 pounds gets you in for a day, and then the only extra thing you pay for is printing - unlmited records right up to the 21st century. See here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12