Default EMIL HAMMER- EVA HART- HONOLULU

This new thread provides a range of data on Emil Hammer and his wife Eva Hart who lived and died in Honolulu Hawaii in the early 1900s. My particular interest is in Eva Hart who was the daughter of Aaron Hart and Rebecca Crawcour my 3x great grandparents. In a previous thread " Lewis John Levey and Flora Hart" posted last week I described how I had been researching for almost a decade what had happened to Flora and Eva. Following contact last week with a newly discovered cousin in the USA I was given sufficient data including a photograph of Eva which recorded her married name and the name of her niece who received the photograph. I was then able to locate Eva and her husband Emil in a range of documents including local Honolulu newspaper archives as well as census and other records.
    It is now clear that Eva was living in Honolulu at the same time as her sister Flora who had married Lewis John Levey aka Lewis J Levey. Emil's father was also living in Honolulu and had a successful harness business.
    The clear link between Eva and her sister Flora appeared in The Hawaiian Starr Oct 11,1906 recording the Death of Eva- Hammer- In Honolulu Oct 10, 1906 Mrs EVA HAMMER the wife of Emil Hammer aged 51. Mrs Hammer had been a resident of Honolulu fpr seventeen years. She was a native of Liverpool, England. Death came on the fifteenth anniversary of her wedding. She does not leave any children but several children of her sister Mrs Louis J LEVEY. They are maud, Ethel, Percy,Herbert,Sidney and Clarence Levey. Internment in Nuuan Cemetery.

As posted on the thread Lewis John Levey and Flora Hart, the children referred to in the death notice were those of Lewis and Flora.
    I will post on the real dob for Eva and where she was actually born. It was not Liverpool but London and she was born in 1848 - I hold a copy of her original birth certificate.
    It is likely that Eva did have a child because there is a newspaper article In the San Francisco Call Vol 73, no 75 13 Feb 1893 which records- HAMMER- In Honolulu H I Jnauary 18, 1893 to the wife of E Hammer a son. However, there is also on Find a Grave to the Burial of Carl Hammer b ?died Feb 2 1893 Honolulu buried O'ahu Cemetety Honolulu.
    On the same site there are records of the burial of Eva Hammer Oct 12,1906 and for Emil Hammer 6 April 1907 Plot 115 section 6 O'ahu Cemetery Honolulu.
    I will provide data from British and US Census records which identifies both Eva and Emil with their respective parents.
    Phillip

Default EVA HART b 1848 LONDON - EMIL HAMMER

This post provides further data on Eva Hart 1848-1906 including reference to her GRO Birth Certificate: Registration District Stepney Upper Mile End Old Town County of Middlesex
    17 April 1848 - 29 Bedford Square Stepney
    EVE HART father Aaron Hart Shoe Manufacturer - mother -Rebecca Hart formerly CRAWCOUR- Informant- Aaron Hart father 29 Bedford Square Stepney.

The first name Eve was in honour of Aaron Hart's grandmother Eve/Eva Myers who had died in London in 1844. The family were Anglo Jews origin of country unknown. Both Eve's also used Eva as a first name as shown by census records.
    The 1900 US Census -Oahu Honolulu -1836 7B 0010 ( Copyright, National Archives US)- showed- Emil HAMMER 44 b March 1856 Druggist b Chicago Parents both b Norway; Eva HAMMER wife 42 b April 1858 b England both parents b England Boarding House Keeper- Married 1891

Hawaii Marriage Records- Eva HART ; Emil HAMMER Oct 10, 1891
    The British Census Records show Eve/Eva - Eva as a first name was recorded in the 1851 census but from 1861-1881 the first name became Eva:
    1851 HO 107 1552 94 21 (Copyright,TNA) -27 Bedford Square
    Aaron Hart H M 40 shoe manufacturer employing 13 men b Whitechapel; Rebecca wife 28 b St Luke; Amelia dau 10 b Whitechapel; Annie dau 8 1/2 b Whitechapel; Phoebe dau 7 b Whitechapel; Henry son 4 b Stepney; EVE dau 3 b Stepney; Gertrude dau 1 b Stepney +1 servant

1861 Census RG9 357 714 (Crown Copyright,TNA)- Rose Lawn Cottage Kennington Oval
    Aaron Hart h M Shoe Manufacturer b Whitecahpel; Rebecca wife 39 b St Lukes; Amelia dau 20 b Mile End; Annie dau 18 b Mile End; Phoebe dau 17 b Mile End; Henry son 14; EVA dau 13; Gertrude dau 12; Samuel son 10; Flora dau 5; Rosina dau 4; Napthali A son 2; Bernard son 1; Grace dau 2months + 2 servants- Flora and the younger children born Surrey Kennington

1871 Census RG10 675 135 11 (Copyright,TNA)- 356 Kennington Road Kennington Lambeth
    Aaron Hart h widower 62 Shoe Manufacturer b London; EVA HART dau 21 b London; Gertrude dau 19; Flora dau 15; Rosina dau 13; Asher 12 son ( he is Napthali Asher Hart); Bernard son11; Grace dau 10 Constance Hart grand daughter 5 - everyone recorded as b London

1881 Census -RG12 313 86 10 (Crown Copyright,TNA) -65 King Edwards Road Hackney Middx
    Aaron Hart H Widower 72 Out of business b Whitechapel; EVA dau u 30 b London; Grace dau u 18 b Surrey Lambeth; Bernard son u 26 Shoe manufacturer b Surrey Lambeth +1 servant

Aaron Hart had been in partnership with his brother John trading as A and J Hart Shoe Manufacturers originally at 62 Leman Street and from circa 1848 at 156 Houndsditch until the firm went into bankruptcy in 1882. Aaron died in 1887.

The siblings of Eva and Flora settled in Australia and it is very likely that Flora and Eva also were in Australia before moving to Honolulu.

Phillip

Default CHARLES HAMMER- EMIL HAMMER -HONOLULU

This posts fills fills in data on Emil Hamme, his siblings and his father Charles.
    The 1870 US Census records the family:
    Madison Ward 4,Dane, Wisconsin M593 1708 356B 717( Copyright, National Archives US)
    Charles Hammer 39 Harness maker 39 b Norway; Josephine Hammer 38 b Norway; Caroline 15 b Illinois; EMIL 13 b Illinios; Ludwick 11 b Illinios;August 9 b Wisconsin; Nora 4 b Wisconsin; Frederick 2 and a half b Wisconsin; A J Lund 24 Harness maker b Norway

The Daily Bulletin Honolulu April 8,1895 refers to the retirement of Charles Hammer:
    "Charles Hammer, the veteran harness maker has retired from business on account of poor health... Mr Hammer has not been well for six years but hopes for a period of rest to regain his strength. He will not leave the country, but as soon as he feels able, will engage in some other business."
    In fact Charles did leave Honolulu as the California Passenger and crew list shows- Charles Hammer 66 Married Harness maker Departed Honolulu for San Francisco Arrival date 27 May 1895.
    He died in Oahu 1896.

Phillip