Dom1

Default Nathaniel Nathan (1775-1884)

Has anyone got any info on the descendants of Nathaniel Nathan (abt 1775-1884) who married Dinah (nee Moses) (1772-1850). Named in Dinah's will are her children Moses, Em(m)anuel, Esther (I think), Samuel & Harriet. In 1841 Nathaniel, Dinah, Harriet (abt 34 yrs old) , Samuel (abt 33) & Hannah (abt 9 yeas old and presumably a relative) were resident in Upper Smithfield, Wapping. Nathaniel was a slopseller and, according to his 3 appearances at the Old Bailey in 1818, an officer of the law. I'm never quite sure what that implies but I presume it means he was able to apprehend criminals. After Nathaniel's death Dinah, Samuel, & Harriet seem to have moved to Scarboro St, reg district: Whitechapel. I am very famliar with Dinah's Moses family as 5 of her siblings link via marriage either directly or via their descendants to my family. I'm fairly certain that Samuel & Harriet never married as they are aged abt 43 & 42 respectively in 1851 census, but I don't know the death dates or what happened to their other siblings. There is a Moses Nathan, born in Wapping, who was a slopseller on Ratclyffe Highway but I don't know if that is him. I don't have access to Bergers. any help would be appreciated.

Oh how I wish they were my NATHAN family
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Dominic
    I have looked at the various names #1 in my 2 copies of Doreen Berger's The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers transcribed and Edited by Doreen Berger, Publisher Robert Boyd -1861-70 - Pub 2004; 1871-80 pub 1999
    There are no references in the 1861-70 vol to the names you seek data on other than a Samuel Nathan died 12.10.1869 -317 Bancroft Terrace aged 68 formerly of Plymouth, Devon so I doubt he is your Samuel.
    In the 1871-80 vol there are references to:
    Death Moses Nathan 3.11.1876 -136 Grove Road Mile End late of 192 St.George's St in his 79th year- Tombstone ceremony at West Ham Cemetery 3 Dec 1876 - Nb There is a reference to his brother Emanuel Nathan and to Mrs Joseph Abrahams daughter, P Freedman son in law; B M Nathan; Mrs Moses Nathan wife but there are no other details for the individuals beyond P Freedman birth 13.10.1877 -27 Redcliffe Street Bristol a son.

I think that the date for the death of Nathaniel Nathan as per #1 main thread heading needs amending given he was dead before his wife Dinah. I have read her will and can only see I think 4 public family trees on Ancestry Com which have Nathaniel Nathan with wife Dinah and some of their children but the data is limited and the quality of recording poor.
    Will look on Cemetery Scribes to see if the individuals are named but so far could not see Nathan or Dinah.

Phiilip

Dominic
    If you look on JewishGen UK Data bases 1851 Census there is a record for Harriet Nathan ID 11821 b 1807 parents Nathaniel/Dinah and with a marriage to Edward Ezekiel Nathan 16 April 1856 plus a reference to 33 Gloucester Place New Road and citing Berger. Petra Laidlaw has also emphasised that the address and attribution needs checking. I can't see an Edward Ezekiel Nathan or Harriet in the Berger 2 vols.
    You might want to look further just to confirm the accuracy of the 1851 Census record on JewishGen. Also, look at the other Nathan/Moses in the 1851 JewishGen census data to see if there are any connections to your lines because many of the records now include updates beyond 1851.
    Phillip

Dom1

Stupid me I meant to write 1844 for Nathaniel's death, thank you for the correction.

Dinah Moses is d of Samuel E Moses & Rachel (nee Abrahams). You referred to this marriage on 29-05-2012 in thread on "Edward Lawrence Levy - Solicitor" started by R.Ward. All Nathans referenced are mine.

Edward Ezekiel Nathan, my 1st cX4, married first Rachel (nee Davis) (1803-52), again referenced by you in thread on "Henry Morwitch & Sophia Lazarus", followed by Esther Barnard. I can't find dates for either of these marriages, so perhaps Edward married Harriet before Esther.

I have entered Harriet Nathan into Jewish Gen database and cannot locate the marriage to Edward Ezekiel Nathan. But on Ancestry I have found a marriage record for Harriet Nathan and Edward Nathan which matches date you found on Jewish Gen.

I can't find any census records for Edward after 1851 until 1871 where he & Esther are living at 83 Upper Bedford SQ. If, as you say, Harriet's parents were Nathaniel & Dinah it would be fair to assume she belongs to Nathaniel & Dinah (nee Moses) and married Edward when she was 49 and he 54 and likely died before 1871.

Re: Moses Nathan. I think he might be worth investigating.

Many thanks Phillip for your time.

Dom1

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    I think that the date for the death of Nathaniel Nathan as per #1 main thread heading needs amending given he was dead before his wife Dinah.
    Phiilip
    I agree with you, but I do not know how to edit thread.

Hi Dom1

You can only edit a thread for 10 minutes after posting. This is to prevent any changes of info, which if done a long time after the original post can, in some cases lead to confusion.

May I suggest you just post the correct date of death referring back to the original post.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dom1

Quote Originally Posted by Dom1 View Post
    Nathaniel Nathan (abt 1775-1884)
    Nathaniel Nathan (1775-1844)