Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amy Page Kentish Town

In the 1891 census Amy Page Mcdonald is listed as Tailoress aged 25 (born 1866) with a place of birth as Kentish Town, London.

This is "confirmed" by the 1910 census where Amy Macdonald is listed as Wife aged 34 (born 1867) and again born in Kentish Town, London.

Amy Page married Donald Macdonald in 1885 and died in 1903 so these are the only census records in which we can definitely identify Amy.

Her marriage certificate indicates that her father was John Page, deceased.

I want to search parish records (something I always prefer to do) but .... What parish should I search?

Thanks
    daryl

I know you are looking for parish records and from a google search there are quite a few churches in Kentish Town Middlesex but have you looked at the Amy S Page in 1871 RG10 piece 280 folio 39 page 30
    Amy is the only one of the family born KentishTown
    John Page 44
    Elizabeth Page 46
    Mary Ann 17
    William G 15
    Sarah L 13
    Eliza I 11
    Amy S 7
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I know you are looking for parish records and from a google search there are quite a few churches in Kentish Town Middlesex but have you looked at the Amy S Page in 1871 RG10 piece 280 folio 39 page 30
    Amy is the only one of the family born KentishTown
    John Page 44
    Elizabeth Page 46
    Mary Ann 17
    William G 15
    Sarah L 13
    Eliza I 11
    Amy S 7
    Yes. we got the birth certificate but a birth of 1863 does not sit well enough with the indication of 1867 (from the census records). I have discovered that the Donald Macdonald we had has her husband is the wrong one - long story but we accepted him as the result of someone else's research - and the claim that he was the only Donald Macdonald born in Glasgow in the right time frame and whose father was Donald Macdonald, a tailor. This certificate was for Donald Ranald Macdonald. Since the 1911 census records have become available I have discovered Donald Ranald MacDonald in the 1911 census. A photo recently to hand indicates that Donald Macdonald had a brother called James (Donald Ranald MacDonald doesn't).
    I have similar reservations about Amy S Page (born 1863 and not 1867) so I have resolved to search through "Kentish town" parish records to confirm the existence (or non-existence) alternative candidates.
    thanks
    daryl

Reputation beyond repute

Yes. we got the birth certificate but a birth of 1863 does not sit well enough with the indication of 1867 (from the census records)
    She was 22 when she married in 1885 suggesting 1863 is a possibility. Don't give too much credence to census records and also bear in mind that women aged at a different rate from men in the 19th century In other words many women knocked a few years of their age.

Also bear in mind that in the mid to late 19th century in urban areas, parish registers are not as definitive as they might have been in earlier years in rural areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    She was 22 when she married in 1885 suggesting 1863 is a possibility. Don't give too much credence to census records and also bear in mind that women aged at a different rate from men in the 19th century In other words many women knocked a few years of their age.

Also bear in mind that in the mid to late 19th century in urban areas, parish registers are not as definitive as they might have been in earlier years in rural areas.
    And according to the marriage certificate Donald was 27 when he married Amy in 1885 giving a date of birth 1858. Census records indicate that he was born c 1855 and his brother James was born 1857/8. Although the census records don't ALL agree on a date of birth for the most part they do (1881,1891 and 1911 agree [dob 1855], 1901 [dob 1857] Donald)

It LOOKS as though Donald and Amy MAY have been trying mask the more than 10 year difference in age. Whatever the truth may be I feel I need to look at the parish records (whether or not they hold the answer) hence my quest to determine WHICH parish(es)
    Thanks for your comments, I will try to not feel disappointed when Amy doesn't show up in the parish records.
    daryl

According to FreeBMD, there are only 2 Amy Pages b. London between 1862-1867.
    Amy Susan Page 1863 Pancras
    Amy Susannah Page b. 1867 Wandsworth.

As Peter says, census info is not always reliable, but it looks as though you have to check on 2 Amy S Pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    According to FreeBMD, there are only 2 Amy Pages b. London between 1862-1867.
    Amy Susan Page 1863 Pancras
    Amy Susannah Page b. 1867 Wandsworth.

As Peter says, census info is not always reliable, but it looks as though you have to check on 2 Amy S Pages.
    The online LMA parish registers show that Amy Susanna Page baptised 27 January 1867 in Tooting Graveny, Wandsworth, was the daughter of Richard and Emma.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    The online LMA parish registers show that Amy Susanna Page baptised 27 January 1867 in Tooting Graveny, Wandsworth, was the daughter of Richard and Emma.
    And according to FreeBMD Amy Susannah Page died 1868 aged 1

What I really wanted from this thread was for someone to help me identify which parishes cover the area which can be called "Kentish Town" - I am a big fan of consulting the original records and making my own transcription and not relying on possibly error ridden transcriptions on the web eg 1891 transcription gives Donald McDonald's age as 26 but reading the original I read it as 36 - the error is understandable as someone collating the results has put a line through the ages.
    Thanks everyone for your help and comments
    daryl

According to familysearch.org historical maps Kentish Town is in the parish of St Pancras, which was just Pancras until 1902 according to FreeBMD.
    Sub-districts being Camden Town, Grays Inn Lane, Kentish Town, Regents Park, Somers Town, Tottenham Court

Now I am going to go and sit quietly in the corner to reflect on all the stuff I don't know and how I am going to find out about some of it.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    According to familysearch.org historical maps

Christina
    And I am going to spend some time looking deeper into familysearch.org - obviously far more there than I know of. And, thanks to you, I have a new avenue to use.
    THANKS Christina
    As for the stuff you don't know and how to find about it - I can recommend british-genealogy.com, it's full of knowledgable, and generous, people

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast