diy356

Default Children emigrating from family

My great aunt was sent to Canada in 1912. The family story is that her father had died in Canada whilst trying to save money to send for his wife and children left behind. By 1911 the elder children had either emigrated to Canada by themselves or settled in employment in England. The 2 youngest children were still at home and their widowed mother was working as a charwoman. She could not afford to keep both children and when the elder of the 2 was offered the chance to emigrate to Canada with Barnardo's she took it. She was 11 years old when she took the decision to go. I have very little information as to how she came to travel with Barnardo's but I do know that she was still at home at the time of the 1911 census and travelled aboard the S.S. Corinthian with a Barnardo's party in April 1912.

Famous for offering help & advice

Are you looking for more information on your great aunt, diy356? perhaps we can help you trace her family here. Do you know where she went.?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Have you tried contacting Barnardo's?

https://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_...ldren-2013.htm

This page from their web site has a page about child migration.

Nannas

HIya,
    IF you google Canada Archives there are a few sites that come up. I think it is the Canada Library site that has the most info.
    Either way do a search for whoever you are looking for on all of them. (I would but you do not supply a name)
    Canada also has a lot of BDM online (if you have an idea of the area) and census etc.
    As I am not sure of a name or area I have nothing to offer that would be more specific.

Kellie