Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I did come across Army papers for Robert [1901] and hoped a next of kin would be mentioned but unfortunately not. I take it you're aware he died in 1901 or 1902?

Courtesy of Lancs BMD - reasons for more than one entry for the same person. You will see it isn'y necessarily the case that Hannah had been married before.

Remarriage. Where the lady is remarrying and both her maiden name and former married name are on the entry in the register, then both are listed in the indexes. It is not possible to tell from the indexes which is the maiden name.
    Change of name. Some entries in the register show alternative names for both first names and surnames. All will be listed in the indexes.
    Poor writing. Where the original handwriting in the register is unclear all possible interpretations are listed in the indexes.
    Parent's surname differs from child's. For example, if a child is raised by the mother without the father being present, he or she may have taken the mother's surname, so when the parent's surname differs on the entry in the register, both surnames may be used in the index.
    Difference between the name as entered by the registrar and the name as signed.
    Alias names (also known as / formerly known as).
    Hyphenated surnames may be listed as both names and/or each name separately.

jac65

Hi

There is a death for Hannah Hartgraves age 40 Liverpool Reg Dist June Qtr 1883 Vol 8b Page 22

Andy

gtcjackie

Mmmmm too many conundrums! Still a big mystery........ I too noted that Elizabeth was born a long while after the marriage and when she was only 1 there was no sign of John. If I got Sarah's death certificate would it give her exact birth date and would I somehow be able to check any records of births for that date to try to find what surname she was registered under? Sorry so many questions, I have never come across this before and I'm not sure how to tackle this, maybe its something I may not be able to solve but I enjoy a challenge!

gtcjackie

Hi Andy

That may be a possibility, now wonder if we can find her on 1881 census?

Thanks for your help

Jackie

Jackie, I'm wondering who this Hannah Hartgrave is, so far as I can tell all the Hartgraves in Liverpool born 1870 onwards are either John's, Hannah's or both.

1901, A servant in a Reformatory School in Newton in Makerfield. Hannah Hartgrave, 25 born Liverpool

(Ancestry don't seem to have references for 1901 census, don't know why as they used to have)

In 1911 she's still single, a relief foster mother in an institution in Wavertree. RG14; Piece: 22693; Page: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jac65 View Post
    Hi

There is a death for Hannah Hartgraves age 40 Liverpool Reg Dist June Qtr 1883 Vol 8b Page 22

Andy
    That has to be her, as there were no other Hannah Hartgrave's in L'pool similar age/time.

When searching for Hartgrave's you may come across this family, I think they can be ignored as on all other census their name is Houlgrave.

1901, Toxteth Park, L'pool
    John Hartgrave 54
    Clara Hartgrave 42
    Sickney Hartgrave 12
    Philip Hartgrave 10
    Walter Hartgrave 7
    Esther Hartgrave 3

gtcjackie

So where were they all in 1881? I reckon there is a very obscure spelling error somewhere, H's can often be transcribed is M's etc, deep breath and plod on.

Thank you so much for all your help, it's keeping me spurred on to solve the mystery or at least try!

Maybe Hannah did have other children.

Birth: Ann Hartgrave, Jan - Mar 1864, West Derby
    Death: Ann Hartgrave, Jun - Aug 1870, age 6, West Derby.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast