Daphne

Default Clement ancestors

Are any fellow researchers looking for their Clement ancestors from the villages of Bow, Down St Mary, and surrounds? My own branch of the Clement family came from that area and I would be very interested in any information held by other members of the tribe!! My branch of the family headed to Bermondsey in the 1850s, when the name changed slightly to Clements.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Any Abrahams from Bow village, Devon?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Daphne

Default Clement

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Any Abrahams from Bow village, Devon?
    I do have a few Abraham Clement on my Tree, but only one was from Bow. He was born in 1852 but died two years later. The other Abrahams came from nearby villages - Down St Mary and Morchard Bishop.

RG09 1471/9/11 1841

Registration District: Crediton- Bow.

Abraham 6, son of Samuel 31 & Elizabeth 30 (nee Rowden), sisters Mary Ann 10 & Fanny 3. Same building another Sam. 55 with wife Fanny 55 (poss. G'pts of Abraham.) & dtr Ann 17.

1877 married my cousin -2, dtr of my GT G.Aunt. Rotherhithe.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Daphne

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    RG09 1471/9/11 1841

Registration District: Crediton- Bow.

Abraham 6, son of Samuel 31 & Elizabeth 30 (nee Rowden), sisters Mary Ann 10 & Fanny 3. Same building another Sam. 55 with wife Fanny 55 (poss. G'pts of Abraham.) & dtr Ann 17.

1877 married my cousin -2, dtr of my GT G.Aunt. Rotherhithe.
    I've just looked again at my Family Tree information, and found your Abraham Clement, born 1855 in Bow son of Samuel and Elizabeth. I missed him when I first looked and noticed only his baby brother Abraham who had died in 1854. Your Abraham married Alice Cowley 29 April 1877 at St Mary Rotherhithe. Abraham's grandparents were Samuel Clements and his wife Fanny. Samuel and Fanny married in Bow 15 April 1827. Fanny's name was really Tryphena. Over the years it altered and was sometimes shown as Phena and then eventually Fanny. Her gravestone in Bow shows her as Fanny Clement.

That's the one Daphne. Alice was actually 'Cawley'. Long list there. Kept me busy. Tryphena is such a pretty name, much messed with. Sad how we people don't like or are bored with what we have. Triffy would be sweet too.

If you want more on this group & haven't got it do say.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Daphne

Thanks for clarifying Alice's maiden name. It's one of those names that can so easily be mis-read. In some documents it can look like Cawley, in others like Cowley.

Alice died in 1899. Abraham remarried the following year. He appears to have married his wife's sister Elizabeth Julia. Is this correct? On the marriage certificate Julia states she was a46 year old spinster, daughter of William Fillery. However, an Elizabeth Julia Cawley married a William Fillery in 1870. William Fillery died in 1892.

Sorry, got sidetracked. Yes you are correct. William Cawley died 1892, their last child (known to me) born 1890 Rotherhithe.
    Julia married Abraham 1900, not necessarily a popular movewith everyone from what I've heard.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Daphne

Thank you for confirming that.