Cathym

Default George Gooding (1829 - 1913)

Hi!
    I am trying to build up a picture of the life and times of my great great grandfather. He was George Gooding and although born in Suffolk he lived much of his adult life in Bacup (Lancs). I found out from the Bacuptimes website that his "refreshment rooms" were known as Goodings Dining Rooms and The Commercial Hotel. Does anyone in that area know anything about this or have any ideas how to fill out the picture?

Maybe Bacup library could help you? They have a contact email on their website.

They may have photographs in their archives or may be able to put you in touch with others who can help.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

It might also be worth looking at local Trade Directories from that time - you might even find an advertisement for him. There's at least 1 website (sorry, the URL's at home and I'm not, but Mr Google will know) for such directories, and others can be found and dowloaded free from the Internet Archive (as long as you have a fast connection, the files can be huge).

Cathym

Thanks for that idea. I've just been looking at the website and they've got some interesting photos on-line. A few days ago I thought I'd hit the jackpot when I found this image of The Commercial Hotel: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ial1024x76.jpg.
    I was certain that the man in the middle must be great great grandfather until I realised this was The Commercial Hotel in Haslingden not Bacup after all. Still think it's a great image though!

Cathym

Thankyou Lesley and geneius: I've used those directories before but totally forgot to make the connection to use them on this search. Thanks alot - off to look straightaway!

Cathym

I went back to Genuki and although I'm not sure what I clicked, ended up on a cemetery records web-site which gave the exact burial date for George and also his wife in the cemetery at Bacup. So that's another piece of the jig-saw; thanks very much!