ltreadgold

Default george Threadgold or Treadgold

George was supposedly stationed in Dublin in 1869/1870 where he had a child John b Nov 1870 with a Sarah Mooney. George was barracked at the Liberties district. Can anyone give me a lead as to which regiment he may have belonged to?

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Hi,,,when and where was George born ?

ltreadgold

Hi: It is his birth that is what I am trying to find out I only have his sons birth cert dated Nov 9th 1870 mother Sarah Mooney. They were not married. There are many George Threadgold/Treadgold/Tredgolds who would fit from Cheshire, Essex Northants and Yorkshire. I am assuming he may have been born anytime after 1830 to about 1852
    Cheers
    larry

ltreadgold

I will be going down to Kew in the summer. (right now I am in Taiwan) hoping to find what regiments were in Dublin at the time and take it from there, unless you have any suggestions? There does not appear to be much on line.
    Cheers
    Larry

Did your John, son of George marry Bridget Jones?

1911 census
    John Threadgold 40 cab driver Co Dublin can read and write
    Bridget wife 32 Co Wicklow can read and write
    Christopher 11 can read and write Co Dublin
    John 8 can read and write Co Dublin
    Denis 5 Co Dublin
    James 2 Co Dublin
    William Trainor 60 boarder can't read Co Wicklow

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
    On same page
    John Threadgold and Bridget Jones
    Registered Dec 1/4 1899
    Registration district - Rathdown
    Vol 2 page 837 FHL Film # 101259

What information do Irish marriage certificates have on them?
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I did find reference to this site Here as an aid to finding the whereabouts of British Army regiments in certain years but I haven't explored it further as it seems to be all downloadable pdf documents.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

ltreadgold

Yes This is the one: the marriage certificate of John and Bridget adds more confusion as it states John's father as William Threadgold. I suspect that this may in fact be William Mooney as the family story has it that John was brought up in the Mooney household Further family story is that George Threadgold was in the army and lived at the |Liberties in Dublin. Shortly after John's birth both Sarah and George died of small pox and were buried at the Cabbage Garden in Dublin. I am of the belief that this is only a story in an attempt to negate the stigma of illegitimacy as there is no record of George and Sarah's marriage neither of their deaths or burials at that time 1870/1871.

The newspapers of the day published a column "STATIONS OF THE BRITISH ARMY". At the beginning of '69 they were reporting -

1 Jan 1869 - Dublin
    1st Dragoons; 14th Hussars; 4th Foot, 2nd Bat; 9th Foot, 2nd Bat; 17th Foot, 2nd Bat; 65th Foot; 66th Foot; Military Train, 2nd, 8th and 11th Troop

and by the end of '69

2nd Jan 1871 Dublin
    4th Hussars; 8th Hussars; 17th Lancers; 9th Foot, 1st Bat; 10th Foot, 1st Bat; 11th Foot, 1st and 2nd Bat; 30th Foot; 58th Foot; 108th Foot; Royal Artillery, 4th Brigade

It's possible to track the changes through this period month by month via the newspapers.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

ltreadgold

Many thanks for this. Although the list is long it does help me narrow the search
    larry Treadgold