Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Col. Gibbon

Default A lost soul trying to find his family

Hello Everyone.

My name is John Graham. I was born in 1955 in Wandsworth. My father was also born in Wandsworth in 1913, but from there on, things get a bit mixed up, and I need some help in finding my Grandfather's father, and mother.

I need to go back, so I can then try and find any living relatives. I lost contact with my London family, when my Father died in 1966, when I was 11. My Grandfather died in 1953 and Grandma in 1947.

My Grandfather {George William Graham} I believe was born in Westminster in 1885, and married Mary Ann Sadler in 1913. At that point I have a link to the Brentford, Mumford family, but following my Grandfather back seems to run into problems and lots of dead ends.

I'm a single parent, with 3 children [ 6,8, and 10], and I'm doing this for them, more than me, as they have no family in this country other than me.

Loves to help with queries

Hi there, I think this board is just to introduce yourself, so welcome.....and just to get you going the marriage of George William GRAHAM age 26 occupation Male Nurse of 7 Longhedge St son of William George GRAHAM occ labourer to Mary Ann SADLER spinster age 22 of 7 Longhedge St daughter of John James SADLER labourer deceased (and then his details crossed through). Married 5 January 1913 at St Saviour Battersea Park. Witnesss James MUMFORD and Elizabeth MUMFORD

Sue

Welcome to Brit Gen!
    This is just a quick reminder to potential helpers that any info about (potentially) living people must be provided in a pm, not posted on the open boards.
    Good luck!

Col. Gibbon

Hello Sumi.

Yep that one is known, it's going back from there, which gets a bit murky.

The only Census record that has been found is 1891, and this record is maybe not the George I'm looking for, but it does fit.

1891 Census

GRAHAM, William G Head Married M 35 1856 Shoe Black Westminster, London
    GRAHAM, Priscilla Wife Married F 32 1859 Westminster, London
    GRAHAM, William Son Single M 7 1884 Westminster, London
    GRAHAM, George Son Single M 6 1885 Westminster, London
    GRAHAM, Caroline Daughter Single F 4 1887 Westminster, London
    GRAHAM, Hannah Daughter Single F 2 1889 Westminster, London
    GRAHAM, Henry Son Single M 0 (8M) 1891 Westminster, London

Piece: 80 Folio: 57 Page: 18
    Registration District: St George Hanover Square
    Address: 18, Ship Court, Westminster London

After this record there seems to be nothing much until 1911, when he is a labourer, if that's correct. I'm wondering how does he become a male nuse in two years?

There is an mention of a G W Graham in the army, in India. It is a 1901 Army census, but the date and place of birth don't match the Westminster address.

Confused?

I am!.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Your MUMFORD Connection!

Mary Ann SADLER was b 1891 Brentford the illeg dau of Elizabeth Sarah SADLER

on the 1891 census
    RG12 1031 145 27 the folowing is recorded

4 watford Court Ealing Brentford
    SADLER Mary 53 widow Hawker London
    SADLER Elizabeth 19 dau Hawker Brentford
    SADLER MAry Ann 3 mths Brentford

1893 James MUMFORD marries Elizabeth Sarah SADLER the witnesses on the 1913 marriage certificate

1901 Mary Ann is desc as MUMFORD b 1891 Brentford

Elizabeth SADLER'S father i( Mary Ann's grandfather) is James b 1825 West End Middlesex a lab'r

Unless the father's name is on Mary Ann's birth certificate you are unlikely to know who he was!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Your late father on his marriage and death entry is desc as George W. B. J. b 1913 died 1966 Richmond on Thames ( I am assuming your mother is named Elsie with an unusual surname!) What do the initials stand for.

I cannot see a birth entry for George W J B

Col. Gibbon

Hi geneius.

Mary ann was born out of wedlock, but her father John James Mumford did marry her 2 years later and had 10 more chiklren with her!

I've gone a fair was with the Mumford side of the family, just the Graham's are a puzzle.

Col. Gibbon

Posts crossing!

Hi again geneius.

Yes that's my father, but he died at 76 Ceaders Rd Hampton Wick, Kingston upon Thames. I went to school one morning and never saw him again. He was born in 1913 4 Oct East Battersea, London, Wandsworth 1d 888

My Mother was Elsie Binz, born in the Philidelphia USA, and how she got there is a whole new story!

Welcome John. As there has been quite a bit of family information posted here I have transferred the thread to the London forum from Introduce Yourself.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Col. Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Welcome John. As there has been quite a bit of family information posted here I have transferred the thread to the London forum from Introduce Yourself.
    I was thinking the same thing,

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast