Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    richard40

Default stuck for some time.

Joseph Wade born 1796 Braintree Essex, married Elizabeth Foster 18/10/1814 at St Micheal The Archangel Braintree.
    Searching for parents and siblings of Joseph.
    Also a puzzle, the family were subject to a removal order at Essex Assizes,
    under poor law I thought your parish helped. why when both born in the area were they transported to Goldhanger where Joseph stayed throughout his life. Elizabeth had by this time died, Joseph re-married to another Braintree girl.

Found this explanation via a search engine
    Partly you are correct, but it depends on which parish had the legal settlement prior to them residing there

richard40

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    Found this explanation via a search engine
    Partly you are correct, but it depends on which parish had the legal settlement prior to them residing there
    Thank you Neil. all attempts have failed, just keep getting " server is down"

janbooth

You could try a subscription to SEAX as they appear to hold the parish registers of Braintree available to view online for a fee.

Janet

richard40

Default stuck for some time

Neil I found the article interesting, it appears to relate to people migrated previously to the parish, in my case we are dealing with people born and bred there. his first wife had died and he re-married another girl from the parish, then we find them with a family of children transported for ever to Goldhanger, I thought your parish dealt with poor law situations. Or could the courts transfer people to area's that needed employee's, I don't know.
    I have not yet explored the SEAX route as I had been informed by another Essex based researcher it no longer existed, sounds like I have been wrongly advised in that respect.
    Thank you both for your in-put.

Reputation beyond repute

It depends on his place of legal settlement. This was a more complex matter than just where he was born. Was he legitimate and where did his father come from? [edit: I see that you don't actually know yet but knowledge of the removal may yet help in that search]

Are there any records of an examination? That might clarify matters.

richard40

Thank you Peter, I don't know anything further than his birth date, I have to follow the Seax direction, I have a relative in the Chelmsford area who I hope will visit the office and do a thorough search, we have been stuck on this one for a long time now.
    Having said that I have recently discovered there are a very large contingent of Wades in Braintree vicinity still today and hoping perhaps this would catch the eye of one. we are having a similar problem with a Norfolk part of the family as well. but that's another story.

Richard40 Can I suggest that you share what information you do have - details of births etc - because there are many members on here who have lots of knowledge and who also have access to information that might not be available online. Sometimes they are just waiting for us to tell what we know so that they don't waste their time going over stuff that has already been found.
    Sometimes a member will not see a message straight away and then might be reluctant to step in because they don't know what is going on offline.
    Keep us updated with your progress please, because apart from anything else we are all dead nosey and want to know what is happening with everyone!
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

richard40

Hi Ladkyis.
    What we know!
    Joseph Wade Born Braintree 1796, married Elizabeth Foster 18/10/1814 at St Micheal the Archangel Braintree. they produced 6 children, 2 born Great Leighs then 4 at White Notley, the 4th being my ancestor David who died 1854 at Sevastopol Crimea. we have all of these confirmed. Elizabeth died and was interned at White Notley 23/07/1828.
    Witnesses at the marriage were Elizabeths parents Joseph and Ann Foster.
    On 6th November 1832, with 2 nd wife and six children he was issued with a removal order White Notley to Goldhanger, some 20 miles distance. where our family history continued through 3 generations.
    Our searches have turned nothing up to suggest why?, also we have been stumped completely on finding siblings or parents for Joseph, we know to this day there are families of Wade's and Fosters in the Braintree Area, but have no physical knowledge of them, but it would rather suggest both Joseph and Elizabeth had siblings in the area re-producing.
    SEAX Informed me there are no records in Goldhanger other than church records, these we have physically explored with the help and blessing of the present clergy. we know everything we need except Joseph and his parents and family, plus his removal, it seems to me highly unusual for the removal of a family to take place after being born and bred there with at least 35 years of residence from birth until his subsequent removal.
    Here's hoping fresh eye's will clear the mist of time.
    All of the above was compiled by my cousin with over 20 years genealogy experience.

richard40

having been in contact with SEAX, they seem to not have the information I am seeking. and advised the various reasons for the removal of the family, these being that his family may not have had settlement rights, ie; the previous generation. or that a new settlement was being formed, doubtful as Goldhanger seems to go back centuries further.
    Have seen proof since that Goldhanger/Malden/Braintree were listed together for voting rights, this presumably would bunch them as one administerative area. I can't think why with both Colchester and Chelmsford closer to both.
    seems our wall is now one brick higher, I must be missing something somewhere.
    I guess a visit to SEAX at Chelmsford when the weather improves and a full scan of everything they do have on Braintree will be my answer.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast