billyboy38

Smile RAMC Church Crookham 1957 Nat Serv Malaya

Dad served national Service in Malaya but I cannot find any details of which regiment he served with.
    I have been given his service number but have no idea how to get the records up to confirm its really his number.
    PTE William Arthur Fagence RAMC 03407976 national Service out of Church Crookham, Hampshire England. His passing out parade was September 1957. He spoke about being on a ship the SS Orwell, sailing from Portsmouth around mid October 1957 ? to Malaya, then it was a three day journey to his station. He spoke of Maxwell Hill and its first aid station he went there a few times during his time in Malaya. Said it was about 8 miles into the jungle from his station in north Malaya.

Any help would be wonderful. I have searched various sites but not able to get any useful info to confirm his regiment and his actual military number.

billyboy38

Many thanks almach...I shall have a look there. :-)

DennisHenry

Default William Arthur Fagence

I knew William (Bill) from the army days training and we served together. We went to Malaya in 57-59 and used to visit Maxwell Hill and came back together on the TT Oxfordshire troop ship in 59. My one recollection of Bill was in training in 57, whenever there was music on Bill loved to tap dance which kept us all amused, and it used to sound great on the wooden floor. Unfortunately I do not know his army number but it must have been close to mine which was 23407851. I have also got in my keeping the company orders for us to embark for England from 59 with all of the personnel leaving the camp which includes Bills name.