Default Marriage Licence 'areas' of familysearch

There are four for Norfolk on family search:

Archdeaconry of Norfolk court
    Archdeaconry of Norwich Court
    Dean & Chapter of Norwich
    Diocese of Norwich Concistory Court.

The first three are explained on genuki and contain:

Archdeaconry of Norfolk consists of the Deaneries of:-
    ■Brooke, Burnham, Cranwich, Depwade, Fincham, Heacham, Hingham, Humbleyard, Redenhall, Repps, Rockland, Sparham (up to 1846), Waxham.

Archdeaconry of Norwich consists of the Deaneries of:-
    ■Blofield, Breccles, Brisley, Flegg, Holt, Ingworth, Lynn Norfolk, Norwich Deanery, Sparham (from 1846), Taverham, Thetford, Toftrees, Walsingham.

Dean & Chapter of Norwich consists of the parishes of :
    Arminghall, Catton, Eaton, Great Plumstead, Hindolveston, Lakenham, Martham, Sedgeford, Sprowston, Trowse (with Newton), West Beckham and the following parishes in Norwich :-
    •St. Mary in the Marsh (inc. Cathedral Precincts), St. Helen, St. James (inc. Pockthorpe), St. Paul.

From the Norfolk Record office:
    The Diocese of Norwich Consistory court consists of: every parish in Norfolk except Great Cressingham, a peculiar exempt from the Bishop’s jurisdiction, and Emneth, a parish in the Diocese of Ely. Until 1837, the Consistory Court also had jurisdiction over the whole of Suffolk (except for the parishes in the Peculiar Deanery of Bocking) and thirteen parishes in Cambridgeshire, and also over the Cambridgeshire parish of Isleham during visitations only.

But WHAT does the above last one actually contain in Norfolk? And why would a Norfolk marriage licence be listed their rather than in the appropriate Archdeaconry section? And is the Peculiar of Castle Rising available in any of those four is it separate?

Thanks

Mitch

Famous for offering help & advice

And finally how did this get posted at 343pm when it is only 337pm?

Allan F Sparrow

Because for some time the clock of this site has been inaccurate

I've often thought of commenting, but never got round to it!

Hi Mitch and Allan

I had noticed that the time is out by a few minutes but as I am in OZ and not that computer literate I thought it was my fault! (usually is )

I have posted in the BG boiler room to draw the techies' attention to your observations. As it is the season to be merry, and I get confused with time frames, I will wait patiently for an answer. Big Ben won't know the difference on New Year's Eve eh?

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Allan F Sparrow

Thanks, Christanel. It doesn't really matter very much, of course, but it is sometimes confusing to find a post dated later than the time you see on your wrist-watch!

Best wishes for the new year.

Allan

Reputation beyond repute

Are you asking why would a marriage licence be issued by the Consistory Court rather than an Archdeaconry Court? The Consistory Court was the Bishop's court.

Two reasons I can think of off the top of my head -

1. the bride and groom lived in different archdeaconries and were therefore obliged to use a higher court.

2. people sometimes chose to use a higher court than they really needed - think of the number of wills proved at Canterbury which could legally have been dealt with at a much lower level.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Are you asking why would a marriage licence be issued by the Consistory Court rather than an Archdeaconry Court? The Consistory Court was the Bishop's court.

That was my primary question Peter - yes and thank you for the reply - so basically a licence could be found in either Consistory or Archdeaconry!

Do you know where Castle Rising as a pecuiliar would fit into the picture?

Many thanks

Mitch

Reputation beyond repute

I can see a reference to the Peculiar of Castle Rising in relation to probate but can't see anything specifically about marriage licences. I think you'd have to ask the record office about that.

Many thanks for that info. Much appreciated.

Just for the record here is the information on Castle Rising marriage licences:

"According to Norfolk Genealogy Vol XVI, Norfolk Peculiar Jurisdictions, there are no marriage licence bonds for the Peculiar of Castle Rising. Although the Peculiar had jurisdiction for probate this does not appear to have extended to MLBs. The parishes within the Peculiar of Castle Rising - Castle Rising, Roydon, North and South Wooton - fall within the jurisdiction of the Archdeaconry of Norwich."