Wendy L

Default Hello From Wendy L

I have only just joined this forum today and I am still finding my way about, but I found a few things already that I was able to reply to. My Family History has been going on for some years now and I have managed to get back to the late 1700's on some family lines, but I don't just collect names. I try to find out as much as possible about their lives, some have emigrated, some have become British subjects mainly due to their wife or son being born into Military Families. Tracing the Military has and still is on going. I had much help from a cousin of my late Mum's who is more my age, as he has served in the Military himself. Many Regimental Museums have been contacted and have proved very helpful. One story is of a 3x great grandmother born in Upper Tronto, Canda and her son born at the Halifax Garrison, Nova Scotia. They returned to UK with her Military husband and later she became a widow and married my more direct ancestor. She had 4 sons and 1 daughter from her first marriage and 2 sons and 1 daughter form her 2nd marriage. I have found that most if not all of both families had lots to do with each other. Of the 6 sons 5 are known to have served in various armies of the Victorian period and one also joined the Royal Marines at a later date after the army. Quite a few descendants, not all have served in the Military. It does my brain in when I keep finding another one. One is currently serving in Afganistan, so on the Military story goes. At least life is never dull.

Wendy L

Hello Wendy L and welcome to Brit-Gen

Your ancestors do seem to be very well represented in the Military. It is good to know that we have another member with experience in researching this special and sometimes difficult subject area.

It is good to see you wasted no time before joining in a couple of discussions. The more of us the merrier

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hatshepsut

Hi Wendy....welcome to the site.