Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please

Tillergirl

Wink Help please

Hi everyone

Can anyone give me a list of the crew who were aboard the plane that the Duke of Kent was on that went down on some 'mission' in 1945 /46?

The plane crashed somewhere in the north of Scotland on what has been said was a secret mission. My father always said that his cousin was one of the crew who died.

I'm unsure of the exact date of the incident and the member of royalty was the queen's uncle whom I believe was the Duke of Kent.

Many thanks for any information

Hi Tillergirl. Here's a list of the crew.

https://www.
    aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/sunderland_eagles-rock.htm

Tillergirl

The info you gave me almach was very very good and really interesting. Now the problem I've got is that my relative is not listed on the crew list.

I'll now have to investigate what actually happened to my father's cousin and to see if there is any connection to the crash at all. Maybe not - very curious.

Tillergirl, if you feel comfortable naming your Father's cousin and all info you know i.e birth place/date, whether married etc - members here can try to help in tracing his career and death details.

Tillergirl

Well my information is a bit scant really and what I do know I have found out myself but its not really verified by certificates.

My father told me that his cousin Glynn was killed in an air crash along with the Duke of Kent and that was as much as I knew. I didn't even have a surname DOB or anything.

This is what I know to be true - my great aunt was born around Merthyr Tydfil (maybe Gelligaer) and her name was Harriet Cattle. Her husband was called Jack.

This is what I've found out but not verified Harriet Cattle married a John Matthews 1917 and they had a son -Aubrey Glyndwr Matthews 1918.

So it's actually this Aubrey Glyndwr Matthews who I believe to be my fathers cousin. As I say none of this is verified but I hardly think Harriet Cattle is a common name so it's based on that really

Any help or pointers would be fantastic. It states on this site that he was a flying officer in the volunteer corps and he died in April 1945. So I'm keen to see if anyone else can find more information for me.

Many thanks

Here is a grave site for an Aubrey Glyndwr Matthews

Birth: unknown
    Death: Apr. 20, 1945

Flying Officer, Pilot. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Service No:153043. Age:26. Son of Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Matthews; husband of Eileen Matthews, of West Kensington, London.

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Probate of his will is on ancestry
    5 Haarlem Road West Kensington died 20 April 1945 on war service. Administration Llandudno 20 Dec to widow
    Eileen Elizabeth Joan Fanny Matthews. Effects 301 pounds 17 shillings and 7 pence.

The National Archives may have a record of his war service.

The marriage record for Harriet and John gives a middle initial of J for John so this looks like the right son for them.

Christanel
    William Burroughs

Found this on The National Archives site

Register of leavers from the Metropolitan Police
    Aubrey Glyndwr Matthews, warrant number 126906. Joined on 30 May 1938, and left on 20 April 1945. Last posted to F Division as a PC.

Christanel
    William Burroughs

A little more info.....................
    aircrewremembered.com/raf1945/4/matthewsaubrey.html

doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk/Casualties/WWII/SurnamesMtoZ.htm

Tillergirl

Wow,wow,WOW!!!!!!

Many many thanks Christanel for this information. How fascinating? I'm even more intrigued now and determined to research more family history over the winter.

I thought the picture of the grave was very poignant. And his will details - quite a bit of money that would be in those days. I know my gt aunt Harriet had the only car in the village in the 20's or 30's and they owned a fish and chip shop so they wouldn't have been poor.

So fascinating! Many thanks for all your effort.

Sharron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast