Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help please

It's great when we can all help in the searches. You had done the groundwork and we had an unusual combination of names to work with which also helped.

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Tillergirl

Oh dear - this post escaped me and I've just read it in my e mails. I'm having trouble with my signal tonight.

How sad. He was the pilot. Oh dear. I feel quite emotional after reading that. I wonder if , as it was in Scotland , it was just easier for his parents to let people believe he was with the Duke of Kent. Although there are reports of an explosion in that report it does look as though he got the blame - well pilots are usually first in line for blame in these scenarios.

My dad was in the war himself at this time as well and his family had moved to the Midlands in the 30's so communication wouldn't be what it is today. So I suppose it was easy to get things all mixed up.

Very very interesting though. Many many thanks for taking the time to research it for me.

Sharron

Tillergirl

Yes it makes it a lot easier when you have unusual names to work with. The problem I had is they all had pet names . Harriet was Auntie Har, uncle Jack was a John and Aubrey was Glynn. So I had to work out what their proper names were first!

Much better than watching the tv though !!

Many thanks once again.

Don't feel upset Sharron. As you will be aware Authorities did and sometimes still do blame innocents, especially if the innocents are dead as they can get away with shifting blame, it very well could be the aircraft had a fault but the Force didn't want to admit it. I see your ancestor as a hero, afterall it was wartime and he gave his life.

See what I mean? A quote from: Aircrew Remembered.

[IOn the F1180 A/C Accident card, it states- “The pilot probably lost control in turbulent cloud due to not being strapped in”. This statement does not support the eyewitness reports of an explosion at the time. -

Starting to feel at home

There is a new war memorial dedicated to those killed in both World Wars from the village of Tir y Berth, Gelligaer and the name of G Matthews RAFVR is enscribed on the plaque.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12