Brock

Default Canadian newspaper obituary

I wonder if anyone in Canada might be able to help me please?
    I would very much like to learn the details of any newspaper obituaries for Violet Rose Scott who died at her home address in Harshaw Avenue, Toronto, Ontario. Violet died on 30th January 1933 & was buried in Victoria Lawn Cemetery, St Catharines, Ontario on 1st February 1933.
    I live in England & do not know the newspapers of the area & hope that someone might be able to help me please.
    With Many Thanks.

Knowledgeable and helpful

as she was married to a Harry Law her obituaries will be under Violet Rose Law............ancestry has her certificate of registration of death.
    What sort of information was you looking for?

Brock

Due to the Canadian BMD's not being available for the public to view due to their strict privacy rules I have not been able to search to discover whether Violet & Harry Law possibly had any children & I thought that an obituary for Violet Rose Law (nee Scott) would show whether any offspring had been born to her.

gary.s

Hi Brock,

The Toronto Star is the big paper in Toronto. In the 1930's it was called The Toronto Daily Star. Down at the very bottom of their web site look under "initiatives" and click on "pages from the past". I've never used this feature but I think you will have to pay to search.
    If the obit was placed in a St. Catherines paper try the St. Catherines Standard. This paper has been around for quite a while but I'm not sure about their archives.

Gary.

Brock

Thanks Gary. I have now tried to find an obituary in the Toronto Star but sadly there doesn't seem to have been one in the paper.
    Being a Brit I am unaware of the locations & of the newspapers for the areas so the suggestion about the St Catharines Standard is most welcome & I shall now see if that turns up anything.
    Thanks again.

gary.s

Brock, another paper that was available in Toronto in the 1930's that I had forgotten about was the Toronto Telegram. It is now the Toronto Sun. If the Standard doesn't help you might try this.

Gary.

Brock

Thanks again Gary, I shall bear that in mind in my search.