Toonalook

Default Surname Interest - Bennetts

I have been researching my family here in Australia and am now interested in discovering more about my Cornish roots.

My great grandfather "John Edmund Bennetts" born in 1826 left Plymouth on May 2 1859 on the vessel "Swiftsure" This was at the age of 34. He therefore lived and possibly worked for a number of years before immigrating.
    John traveled to Australia alone and at his own expense. That is to say it was not an assisted passage.
    On his marriage certificate here in Australia he indicated his place of birth as Cornwall and his father "William Bennetts" and his mother "Margerita (surname indecipherable but looks something like) Casidy or Eady"

I have searched online and been unable to find any births deaths or marriages for his parents or for John himself.
    There are a number of John Bennetts aged 15 on the 1841 census but none with recognisable parents or siblings.

I would be pleased to obtain any information from those with knowledge of Cornish research as to what should be my next steps.
    I would also be delighted to hear from anyone who might feel we may share relatives. I have no anecdotal information from John as he died in the Australian goldfields at the age of 45 in 1871 his son my grandfather being only 3 years of age at the time.

jacval

What were his childrens names? can sometimes help if named after aunts /uncles.

Jackie

Toonalook

His son was William Charles. William was his father's name and Charles was his wife's fathers name.

jacval

The nearest...?
    Baptism
    John Bennet 28th August 1825 St Cleer Cornwall- Parents William + Margaret.

Do you have any idea of his occupation when he emigrated

Jackie

Toonalook

That's very interesting. Is out possible to obtain a copy of birth certificates on line.
    He had his occupation down on his marriage certificate as a miner.

jacval

Birth certificates were not available until 1837. Have to rely on parish registers before that date.

The info .re.Baptism can be found www.familysearch.org

Jackie

Toonalook

Thank you Jackie.
    I found the above search for John. Being baptised in 1825 suggests he may have been born some years to this.
    I was unable to find any birth for John. We're births always registered in these days?
    I am also unable to find any marriage for a William and Margaret. I wonder if this may have been in another parish?
    Do you know if people moved around much for employment or other reasons within Cornwall in these days?

jacval

As I said in previous message, birth registration didn't start until 1837, anyone born before that date, didn't have a birth certificate, so
    only have baptism records(if baptised)

Here's a possible...

1851 census St.Cleer, Cornwall
    William Prideaux 33 copper miner born Camborne
    Susanna 30 St Cleer
    Joseph 10 .........
    Miriam 3 ..........
    Wlm 2 ...........
    JOHN BENNETTS 26 lodger copper miner Cornwall

A William Bennetts married a Margaret Hendy in 1816 Lanlivery - Does the name Hendy look anything like Margarets maiden name?

Jackie

Toonalook

On close inspection I believe the surname is Hendy.
    Thank you.
    I have a new relation.