Default Hello all I'm new here.

Hello I came across this site the other day, I have been researching on and off for around 10 years and although I haven't been completely methodical in my approach I have been guided by several helpful folk on other sites and have been able to unearth some hitherto unknown facts about my ancestors.
    I mainly research on the internet and am not a member of any paid for sites preferring to pick up as much information as I can from free sources, this is why my methods are not particularly methodical I guess.
    I came across this site whilst googling my gypsy line which is particularly hard to trace although as I say I have had some exceptionally helpful information from folk on another free site. I believe that my gypsy line goes back to a Wisdom Smith who when I googled his name directed me to a post on this site which is a few years old but I hope to follow up nonetheless. I am also interested in my fathers ww2 record and in fact his army record in India between the wars.
    Thanks.

Hallo howieb, and a very warm welcome to BG. Have a good look round, and then post your queries in the relevant place when you are ready. It looks as if Romanies or WW2 might be good forums for you.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Thank you for the warm welcome Sue.

Welcome in, howieb. You'll find that we have a lot of helpful people, and a huge range of forums (I'm not sure that I've seen them all, and I've been a mem,ber for years!). Enjoy.

Hatshepsut

G'day howieb...welcome to the site. Genealogy can be a very expensive hobby once you add Genie site fees to the costs of BDM certs That's why this site is so good....it has very knowledgeable members who just love to help newbies like you & me. My family laugh when they ask me what I want for birthday/mother's day/ Christmas etc and I always say "...death certificates!"

Thank you all I have already received some very helpful advice and that was only day one, Hapshetsut made me laugh too.