Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harry/Henry Law

Brock

I have no idea whether Violet & Harry ever had any children & as the Canadian birth register index is not available to view I have not been able to check it out.

pippycat

Brock

I'm still getting nowt for Violet...
    She might have had her name badly mangled on transcription.
    She could have been married to Harry by 1921. Although we are both of the opinion she was a wee bit young, I've seen wives as young as 16 while I've been trawling through the census.
    However, still doesn't explain why they are in hiding!

I've been going over that Border Crossing looking for clues!
    I think its dated 5 April 1926 and states Violet was accompanied by Hus Harry at Nia. Falls, Oct 19? 1926.
    Further down, the question "ever been in US before" / answered: yes, Buffalo 1915-1918.

The other side of the Border Crossing Card, in "remarks" it has Violet's date of birth as 3 May 1904 and "wife of Canadian born" - so we can assume Harry Law is Canadian.

Now all we need is Harry, an Auto Mechanic who was born at some time, somewhere in Canada and we've cracked it

I think there is a 1915 New York census, so I'll have a look to see if the Scott family and/or Violet might be on that.....a 10 year old Violet must be living with somebody IF she's listed!

Rebecca.

Brock

You are so good to keep on looking for me ~ thank you.
    I have been looking through the 1921 census in Ontario to see if Violet might be listed in service or as a visitor somewhere & found an entry that I am wondering about...
    There is a listing for St Margaret's college in Toronto, Ontario which has many servants listed amongst whom is a girl listed as Violet Scoau in the Ancestry index but I think that it really reads as Scott. Her age is a little older than Violet's & says that she is Irish. This might sound odd as I have already said that she was born in Barrow In Furness in England but she actually moved with her family when she was a baby to live her early years in Ireland before emigrating to Canada with her brother William being born in Ireland.
    Her brother George was born in Canada shortly after the family settled there but in his 1921 census entry his own parents have him listed as Irish too.
    I know this isn't a certainty by any means but I am bearing it in mind as a possibility.

I have had help too & now know that Harry Law was born in 1906 in York, Ontario to parents John Law & Sarah Foster so I now know who Harry was but would still like to know more about him if possible. As he was widowed at such a young age I would expect that he likely re-married but as the marriage index of Canada isn't available to check out I can't check up on that.

It would be great to learn more about Violet & Harry & their tooing & froing between Canada & America & would love to know where & when they married but this seems to be elusive info, but ever the optimist ~ I hope that one day I shall be able to learn all about it.

Thanks again.

pippycat

Brock

I very much like the "I have had help too"...a big thank you to whoever that is!

Possibly now found Harry in 1921:
    Essa Township, Simcoe, Ontario

John Law 1878 England. Farmer. Year of immigration: 1883
    wife: Sarah: 1876 Ontario (both parents English)
    children: all born Ontario
    son: HARRY 1906
    son: Foster 1908
    dau: Margaret 1911
    dau: Eleanor 1914
    son: Rodger 1918

1911 family are living inToronto

John Law 1876 - think his occupation reads something like 'painter in houses'
    wife: Sarah 1879
    son: Harry 1906
    son: Foster Donald 1908 (his memorial on 'Find a Grave' - died 1959. Peel, Ontario)
    dau: Lillian Margaret 10 days old.

Ontario marriages:

7 Oct 1904 York

John "Saw" age 27 born England, a Painter (image reads John Law)
    parents: John and Mary
    married
    Sarah J Foster age 28 born Ashawa? Ontario
    parents: Thomas and Louisa.

Births: District of Ashawa, Ontario
    Sarah Jane Foster
    born: 5 April 1876
    father: Thomas Foster, a Moulder
    mother: Louisa Stephenson.

This seems to be the correct family, so a bit further on - but only thanks to your helpful pal

Rebecca

Brock

That's great Rebecca ~ thank you so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12