Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I'm guessing this is the 1911 census you refer to, Shelley?

I saw it last night and I think it is the two sisters. I have a friend visiting tonight so may not have a chance to do any searching, but I may be able to do more sleuthing tomorrow.

Norton Barracks Worcester
    Chamberlain Bertha 21, head, married 5 months. Worcester
    Edith May Cook 21, boarder, Kidderminster
    *Alexs [sic] Elleen Ballinger 24, visitor, Kidderminster
    RG14, Piece: 17633

* Looking at the original image I think Alexs actually says Miss

Think this a likely marriage for Bertha Chamberlain

Dec qrt 1910 - Worcester - 6c/455. Thomas Chamberlain also indexed Bertha Williams.

lazywillie

Yes, that is the 1911 Census. Both sisters ended up marrying and living in Worcester. The letter from
    Edith to her brother James was 35 St. Alban's Sq Copenhagen St Worcester. Nellie lived in 33.
    Enjoy your company.
    Thanks Shelley

lazywillie

Hi Almach,
    Just ordered the certificates with two surname variants...just in case. Shelley

Good luck with the certificates, Shelley.

Do you know what happened to the children's mother, Emily Cooke? Are we searching for her eventual death or remarriage?

I'm still having no luck finding Henry Benjamin.

I won't be around tomorrow as we are entertaining friends.

Catch you later.

lazywillie

I can't find her the 1901 Census and assume that this is Emily, b. Abt 1865 Death Jan 1911 age 46 Worcester 6c 158. I am not sure that she remarried but if anyone can find her, I'd appreciate any info. I am hoping upon hope that we find Benjamin..tears at my heartstrings.

I spent a bit of time yesterday looking for Benjamin and the only thing I can come up with is the shipping record I found (in the other link [which I have fixed]) In that record it says he was living in South Africa but his future permanent home was going to be England. Of the deaths after 1921 to 1983 there is no clear candidate.

I can't see anything for him in US or Canada either. Bah! It may be he went back to South Africa and I know nothing about researching there. Cyindi's list will have some links I am sure.

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

lazywillie

That is one that you were fixated on last time Christina. Must be something about it...sometimes one gets a gut instinct. I thought I had come up with something but just realized that it is impossible. I mean that it isn't improbable that Benjamin would've just taken the name Cook after the trouble Emily was in, in 1895.
    Benjamin would've only been 7 at the time of the court case and 8 by the time the other boys were sent to Canada. Was there lots of boys homes in Kidderminster that would've taken him in? Would the homes have had been in the Census's? Would these places have any info after all these years? It's just such a mystery...
    Too many questions Christina. I fear we may never find him.
    Shelley

Shelley, you will most likely think I'm off my rocker but I am wondering about this family unit. Some details match, others don't. The children all have the names of Emily's and in the right order age wise, Emily has gained a few years and was entered as born Bridgnorth. I cannot find a suitable marriage between a Henry Oakley and an Emily, and further I cannot find any one of the five on other censuses, they should be on the 1891 and Henry (snr) should be on the 51/61/71 and 81.

So here goes............you can ponder over it and see if they can be found anywhere else, oh, and I didn't find birth registrations for the children, very odd!!!!

1901, Featherstones Yard, All Saints, Worcester.

Henry Oakley 55, General Labourer, Worcester
    Emily Oakley 45, Charwoman, Bridgnorth Shropshire
    Henry Oakley 14, Kidderminster
    Nelly Oakley 11, Kidderminster
    Edith Oakley 9, Kidderminster

RG13; Piece: 2777; Folio: 164; Page: 11

lazywillie

Quite coincidental isn't it? There can't be too many Emily's and children with same names. Will have to peruse this some more.
    I really thought that Benjamin took on the Cook name but alas not being able to find all of them in the same census proved to be fruitless.
    I will take another look at marriages and deaths.
    Shelley

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast