Red Tom

Default Trade directories, Liverpool 1930's.

Hello folks, I wonder if anyone can help me out?
    My late father was a third generation painter and decorator in Liverpool,his dad died when he was 4 years old due to injuries received in WW1, and when he left school he started his apprenticeship with his uncle (Richard Campbell) who had premises in the north side of Liverpool I believe (poss Anfield/Walton etc), his other uncle John James Campbell may possibly have been a partner. My dad started work in 1934, but I believe the business was in operation prior to that.
    Does anyone have access to directories which may be relevant?, I would be very grateful for any assistance whatsoever. ( I had thought of trying to trace his indentures, but got lost in the process).

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello & Welcome

I think Gore's did one in 1930, try Liverpool Library

Maybe this link may assist
    https://www.
    britishonlinearchives.co.uk/group.php?cat=&sid=&cid=&pid=71484Gore&quicksearch =&keywords=&keywords_all=&keywords_phrase=&keyword s_any=&keywords_none=&date_from=&date_to=&date_opt ion=equal&page=8

Red Tom

Thank you for that geneius, I'm not the most proficient with computers, but nothing seems to have happened when I checked the link....

Red Tom, I just high lighted that link & right clicked on 'open in new window'.-it worked fine. Try that.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Red Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Red Tom, I just high lighted that link & right clicked on 'open in new window'.-it worked fine. Try that.
    Thank you folks for your comments, but I still can't access the link!, I'll wait until one of my offspring call around and get them to check what I'm doing wrong (my 6 year old grandson has more luck than I do)

Hi, If I admit it I am not that brilliant with computers either...that's why you got such a long link.....I copied & pasted the 2nd line and placed it against the https://www. on the search line, it came up OK

One of the reason wew display the links as we do is to avoid spamming!

marianne Faull

Hi, Kellys (Gore) Directory Liverpool & suburbs 1938 has:
    Painters & Decorators
    Campbell H & Co, 124 & 126 Breck Road Everton .
    Also in the alpha listing:
    Campbell Richard, decorator, 53 Scarisbrick Cresc, L11
    Campbell John James, painter, 19 Ashfield L15.

Reputation beyond repute

If you pop into Liverpool Record Office at the Central Library, I imagine you'll find shelves full of trade directories.

Red Tom

I'm very grateful to you for that Marianne, it will be a good starting point for me.

Red Tom

Thank you. I'll get over there when I get the chance and see what's on offer.