Joanne0669

Default Illegitimacy in 1830/1 - Wedmore, Somerset

Does anyone know how I'd go about either finding the identity of the father or mother of one of my ancestors. I've been able to ascertain Edwin Raines Dowling was baptised in 1831 in Wedmore Somerset and was born to a single woman by the name of Ann. Anything before that I've hit a brickwall. Edwin's Marriage Certificate does not state his father's name etc but I noticed that as time has gone on he has dropped his middle name, Raines. I'm wondering if it is a clue to his father's identity.

I'm fairly new to genealogy and do not know of British resources to search as I'm based in Australia. Does anyone have any tips for me? Even if I can't find Edwin's father I would still like to trace his mother's side if possible.

Cheers,
    Joanne

thewideeyedowl

Hi Joanne

Yes, check for RAINES. A mother quite often gave her illegitimate child the name of the man who was the father as a middle name. I discovered this on a local government website. As a result, I was able to work out the identity of the father of one person in a line I am investigating. It was corroborated by a family anecdote and the name on a war memorial. Case solved!

Must rush - off to work.

The Wideeyed Owl

Allan F Sparrow

See my replies to your other thread, in the Somerset forum.

Joanne0669

Thankyou so much for taking the time to respond The Wideeyed Owl.

I will be exploring that possibility further as there seems to be a few men with RAINES as a surname in Wedmore and the surrounding areas.

Last night I also found another child baptised in the same parish thirteen years later and born to a single woman also by the name of Ann Dowling. Being 1843 a Birth Certificate is available and has been ordered. Crossing my fingers that the mother is the same Ann Dowling that gave birth to our Edwin Raines Dowling in 1830.

Cheers,
    Joanne