Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pennydog

Joshua's marraige cert would provide the name and occupation of his father plus the maiden name of Elizabeth.

There is a marriage of Joshua Procter 3rd qtr 1846 Lancaster 21 382 - the possible brides are Elizabeth Bland or Elizabeth Dawson or Elizabeth Heathcote (FreeBMD)

Nicolina

Lancs BMD has an 1846 marriage between John PROCTOR and Elizabeth ELLISON @ Manchester Collegiate Church

MarkProctor

One of my cousins has got Roberts birth Cert with Elizabeth (nee Dawson) as his mother.

Joshua Proctor M 56 Claughton, Lancashire, England
    Wife Elizabeth Proctor F 59 Bolton On Sands, Lancashire, England (Sometimes called Bolton Le Sands)
    Daughter Jane Proctor F 26 Skarton, Lancashire, England
    Son Robert Proctor M 19 Claughton, Lancashire, England
    Grand Daughter Elizabeth Ellen Proctor F 2 Stacksteads, Lancashire, England

Hi Mark
    As myself, pennydog and Nicolina all agree buying the marriage certificate for Joshua and Elizabeth would allow you to move back with more confidence because it would provide Joshua's father's name and occupation. (exception being if he was illegitimate. Hopefully not.)

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

MarkProctor

Yep, Gonna make a list of Certificates for my Xmas presents this year

Quote Originally Posted by MarkProctor View Post
    Yep, Gonna make a list of Certificates for my Xmas presents this year
    And Christmas must be close 'cos the shops have had the decorations for sale since Oct 1. Mind you they have Easter eggs too!

When you get the certificates Mark do come back here and let us know what is on them. We like to hear of a members progress.

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Nicolina

and we might be able to take you even further back. We love a challenge at B-G. Or as my OH says, "digging up dead people"

MarkProctor

Ok, been consulting my cousin and online tree. Seeing as Great Great Grandfather Joshua (1825-1899) was a stonemason and he had moved his family from Claughton near Lancaster to the Rossendale Valley by 1871. I also tried to figure out for myself which of those 3 marriages (GRO Index) was the one that mattered, Joshua & Elizabeth being very popular names. I happened to google "Lancashire Old Maps" and found that Lancashire County Council had an online collection of old maps.

The one marriage at Quernmore (Elizabeth Dawson), yep you already guessed, the old maps show a quarry at that location !

Those old maps are a great help in visualizing adjacent villages/parishes where a person might have found their spouse!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12