Bob2000

Default William Chick (b 1838 Bridport) d Melbourne?

W = William Chick (born Bridport 1838), son of Matthew Chick and Sarah Hallett.
    E = Elizabeth Payton (born Bethnal Green 1839), daughter of Josiah Payton and Charlotte Elizabeth Cole.

W married E in Shoreditch on 25 Dec 1858. They had a daughter called Elizabeth Sarah Chick who died in 1862. At that time they were living at 20 White Row, Bakers Row, Whitechapel, London E1 (not a very pleasant part of town!)

After that...I can find no trace in England.

I wondered if there was a chance that W+E could have ended up in Australia. Why? W's sister Mary married Benjamin French in 1855 and she emigrated to Australia in 1861. (Mary died on 1 Jun 1929 in Coburg, Melbourne, Victoria.)

The parents, Matthew and Sarah, also emigrated to Melbourne, arriving in 1869 on board the ship "Southern Empire". (Matthew died at Coburg on 19 Nov 1877, Sarah died at Coburg in 1901.)

Is there any record that W+E did the same?

Thanks for your help

(Note: 'E' is NOT the Elizabeth Chick who married Emile Honore Pauwels in Pancras in 1877)

shume

You may have already done this research but as I live in Aus and have lots of records I hope this may help:
    Using Trove nla (digitised newspapers online) Benjamin French, a tailor, set up business in Melbourne by 1865 until his bankruptcy in 1891, and death in 1919. His wife Mary died as you state in 1929 (also a Presbyterian buried Coburg) and the death states she died at the home of her sister Mrs E Burley. So assuming she (E) was nee Chick, that's another member of the family who came to Aus.
    Now I know this doesn't directly find Wm Chick but if often helps to go sideways before you go directly! Everyone seems to be living in Coburg.
    Stephanie from Aus

A fountain of knowledge

Neither William nor Elizabeth Chick are buried at the Coburg Cemetery, (but you can check other cemeteries here https://www.gmct.com.au/deceased-search.aspx ). The Frenches are buried in the Presbyterian section.

There is no Will or Probate for William Chick in Victoria. You can check that, or passenger arrivals indexes at the Public Record Office Victoria here https://prov.vic.gov.au/research